"Tasteless" coffee - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Milligan »

Ratio is the BIG lever. Lower ratio for darker roasts, higher ratio for lighter roasts in general. The biggest impact you can have on the cup is the ratio. The grind gets you into an acceptable time range for a given ratio and preferred technique (Turbo, lever, traditional, slayer, ...). You can lower the ratio if you run into bitter or increase the ratio if you run into sour.

The rough part about a roaster's brew recommendation is that it only applies to their espresso machine, prep technique, grinder, water, and, importantly, palate. They can only give a very general recommendation but it is ultimately up to the end user to know their machine and use their taste to dial in. I'd not be so concerned about trying to hit exactly X ratio with Y dose at Z time that is told on a website expecting to get that perfect shot. You'll need to poke around with your specific equipment to feel it out.
★ Helpful

jmc999

#12: Post by jmc999 »

Chase106G wrote:Well, in the end I ran out of this coffee and i was always close to the target but never touch it.
The new coffee is much better, the problem is with the rosters, they tell you "this is recipe/borders", but it's never there.

The new coffee need to be brewed (by the roster) 93c 1:2, in reality, lot's of other users told me to try 89c and 1:1.5 (with this specific coffee), and its working!
I understand that low temp will give me more time/less chance to get the bitter part, but what the ratio have to do with it?

What is the side affect of the ratio? I know it's only responsible for the dilution and there for strength/concentration of the taste, but how can it help to shift from the sour part to the sweet part of the brewing?
If you're getting sourness, try going finer with your grind and possibly shorter with the ratio.