In Search of Siphon Recommendations (Hario Sommelier anyone?)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
andresfranco

#1: Post by andresfranco »

I have been an espresso drinker for years, but this summer I decided to give pour-over a try (and am loving it!). I am now looking to explore siphon and wanted to know if anyone here has first had experience with the Hario Sommelier.

Also, how forgiving is a siphon coffee maker when brewing less than the maximum capacity? Should I choose the size (and model) based on how many cups I normally brew?

And finally, besides the Hario Sommelier, are there any other siphon brewers I should consider? Thanks!
Andrés Franco

LMWDP #571

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

andresfranco wrote:Also, how forgiving is a siphon coffee maker when brewing less than the maximum capacity? Should I choose the size (and model) based on how many cups I normally brew?
Yes, I think the rule of thumb was you can brew down to 2/3rds capacity, so for my Yama 8 it was marked for 5 - 8 "cups" and worked well in that range.

I only have experience in stovetop models, I like being able to brew coffee and fix breakfast at the same time. Not as interesting as a vac pot on a stand for a flame or heater for display, but makes great coffee. I like glass filter rods.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

andresfranco (original poster)

#3: Post by andresfranco (original poster) replying to yakster »

Thanks! I am not opposed to stovetop, our dining room and kitchen are integrated, so you could still see the siphon, but definitely it would not be as dramatic. Sounds like you are happy with Yama?
Andrés Franco

LMWDP #571

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Yes, I've been happy with the Yama, but I haven't used it in a while, I usually use my Behmor BraZen for pots these days. I did pick up a vintage Silex but the gasket was dried out so it didn't seal. I've seen some reports that newer Yamas came with a lip in the funnel that could prevent using it with a glass filter rods, but can't confirm it. Check out this site if you haven't already seen it.

https://baharris.org/coffee/VacuumCoffeePots.htm

One thing to note is that the coffee comes out hot since the base is heated so you may need to let the coffee cool quite a bit before you enjoy it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Andres,

Please don't take my last post as discouragement, I used to proudly use the #siphonsunday hashtag and brew all the time with this method. You'll find lots of old posts with methods on this forum, BoldJava was my mentor.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#6: Post by andresfranco (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Andres,

Please don't take my last post as discouragement, I used to proudly use the #siphonsunday hashtag and brew all the time with this method. You'll find lots of old posts with methods on this forum, BoldJava was my mentor.

<image>
I will definitely get a siphon! It's one of the devices still missing in my personal coffee museum (all of them are manual devices). But thanks for letting me know about the higher temperature issue. I think I will go the table top route with a butane burner.
Andrés Franco

LMWDP #571

Coffee&Bearclaws

#7: Post by Coffee&Bearclaws »

I have a 3 cup Yama tabletop (~2yrs old) and I can use glass rods (Silex, Cona (new), Cona (older), and a Cory) each with varying degrees of succes (none have been terrible).

I agree with the other poster that ~2/3 of a pot is about the minimum for a brew. So if you want 10-12oz get a 3 and if you want ~16 +/- 2oz I'd get a 5 cup.

As for tabletop vs stovetop, both my pots are tabletops and I love them; very easy to control the heat with the butane

keepitsimple

#8: Post by keepitsimple »

andresfranco wrote:I have been an espresso drinker for years, but this summer I decided to give pour-over a try (and am loving it!). I am now looking to explore siphon and wanted to know if anyone here has first had experience with the Hario Sommelier.

Also, how forgiving is a siphon coffee maker when brewing less than the maximum capacity? Should I choose the size (and model) based on how many cups I normally brew?

And finally, besides the Hario Sommelier, are there any other siphon brewers I should consider? Thanks!
You should definitely consider Cona brewers - IMHO the most elegant of the bunch and make great coffee of course.

The current range is, I think, just the single model D at 2 UK pints. Earlier versions included A 1/2, B 1, and C 1 1/2 pint versions as well. The smaller versions are no longer available new, but plenty to buy used on a well know auction site. Provided the glass is intact, there's not much else to worry about, even replacement neck seals are still available.

The most stylish is the "Rex" from the early 1950's - if you can find one.

I think most brewers work best at - or close to - their nominal capacity

#9: Post by andresfranco (original poster) replying to keepitsimple »

Thanks! Question: do you use the spirit lamp that came with it or a butane burner? It looks like the Yama butane burner is too tall for the Cona.
Andrés Franco

LMWDP #571

lordjeebus

#10: Post by lordjeebus »

I have Cona "A" and "B" models. I use the spirit lamp for the "A," but usually put the "B" on the stovetop with a trivet.