Syphon recipe

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

I just got a hario syphon. I've always thought it makes the coolest looking coffee but to be honest the cup isn't that great. Just wondering is anyone has tips to make good vacpot brews?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

What size brewer? Which style filter?
LMWDP 267

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

Start by buying a Cory rod off eBay for $10. Use boiling water so that small heat element has a chance. Add the coffee (med-fine grind) when you have 203* up top. Let it brew for 2:30 and remove heat source. Enjoy.

I use a ratio of 2 grams coffee:1 oz desired finished brew. For example, my Yama stove top. 44 g of coffee yielding 22 oz of finished brewed. YMMV. Enjoy.
-----
LMWDP #339

DamianWarS

#4: Post by DamianWarS »

JohnB. wrote:What size brewer? Which style filter?
It's the Hario TCA-3 with cloth filter. I use it over the stove.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

I have an older version of the Hario 3 & 5 cup syphons but both are heated by a small butane burner. Always seemed to get better brews from the 5 cup for some reason & I definitely prefer the cloth filter over all the other types that fill a small drawer in the kitchen. I used to use the syphon ever morning but for the last few years I've been making Americanos for breakfast. Got lazy I guess. I'll look through some of my old notes & see if I can find any info that might help.

What are you using for coffee?
LMWDP 267

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS » replying to JohnB. »

sure that would be helpful, I'm going to look at getting a cory glass filter as was suggested earlier (but it's difficult to get one in the country not to mention the 200% customs I would probably have to pay on it). the syphon is already a mad scientist type look and the glass filter just builds on that. I have an alcohol burner it came with and I check how some "how to" articles on how to use it, then ended up just putting it over my gas stove and it works fine. But the taste of the coffee is harsh and lacking and to be honest, I was disappointed. It's still cool to watch it's just not that great of cup. I'm going to keep trying it, ratios and grinds differences, etc... and maybe I can nail something down that is better.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

If you lived closer I'd send you my cory glass rod which was recommended to me years ago. Didn't work that well in my Harios & I've yet to try a filter that gives a better syphon cup then the cloth filters.

How do you heat a TCA-3 syphon on a range? Wouldn't think the lower globe would get close enough to the burner. Something like these would be ideal. https://www.amazon.com/Yama-Butane-Burn ... B002YP3AY2
LMWDP 267

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

In the beginning, the "trick" is usually to avoid a too-high brewing temperature. See video below for a brewing method to start on that objective.

As for filters, the majority of filtering is done by the coffee itself - cake filtration - which is why a glass rod works (same logic applies to the Walkure brewer). I use the Diguo filter, which you can get from a number of online sources (and there are probably a bunch of cr*p clones out by now too, LoL). H-B thread on the Diguo stainless steel vacpot filter

What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

Boldjava

#9: Post by Boldjava »

DamianWarS wrote:sure that would be helpful, I'm going to look at getting a cory glass filter as was suggested earlier (but it's difficult to get one in the country not to mention the 200% customs I would probably have to pay on it)...
I have tons of them. If there is a way, I can mark it "gift" and avoid customs?
-----
LMWDP #339

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS » replying to Boldjava »

No that doesn't work, neither does writing the value on it as a low amount. Customs officers want to see an official receipt of the value. I don't fully understand the logic or costs involved and I may get charged nothing or a lot more than I expected, both scenarios have played out. I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to do continue to search locally for now.