SwissGold KF-300

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
thirdshifter

Postby thirdshifter » Dec 13, 2018, 3:23 am

Remember these? I had one a good 14 years ago. Strikes me that this was one of the first auto-drippers for manual pourover ever made. You just pour all your hot water into the top compartment at once, where it slowly drips on the grinds, then getting filtered by the permanent metal filter. Many of these designs around nowadays of course.

The KF-300 appears to no longer be available, which is a shame. These were sweet. They were apparently re-branded by Frieling (Coffee for One) just a few years ago, but I don't see any of these available anywhere either.

Anybody still using one or fondly remember these?

roastnbrew

Postby roastnbrew » Dec 14, 2018, 10:42 am

thirdshifter wrote:Anybody still using one or fondly remember these?

Yes, still using, and my favorite brewing method. No paper filter and no sediment in the cup. The brew time is easily controlled by changing the grind -- I shoot for ~4 minutes.

I think that one of the strengths of the device is that the coffee bed is evenly and gently saturated, without any stirring.

Javier

Postby Javier » Dec 17, 2018, 7:15 pm

I use mine (Frieling) every so often. It produces great brews.

Half of the time I use the top "dispersion" section, the other half I don't (and just pour water slowly over coffee bed).
LMWDP #115

Phil_P

Postby Phil_P » Jan 12, 2019, 10:41 am

Yes, I got one in 2005 and despite having the usual array of other preparation methods at my disposal, continue to use it for breakfast coffees on work days. It must surely be the simplest way to make a really good brew — even easier than French press or dripper cones, nevermind Aeropress. Great for use in hotels or even when camping.

It seems to have built-in regulation that really helps get a good extraction and also makes it somewhat tolerant of different grinds.

The volume of the insert into which you pour the water is 243 mL, but in use the total water taken is around 275 mL. So between 16g and 18g of fresh-ground covers the usual brew ratios, and I find 17g at permanent filter grind is a sweet-spot.

For water temperature, I go a little hotter than for a pour over cone where you are adding water directly to the coffee bed — the kettle is starting to bubble, but is not yet at full boil. Due to the water being finely metered through the bed and the whole process being a fairly long one, that extra heat is needed.

The ridge near the top of the insert appears to be a fill line. Go higher than this and water spills back out when the coffee blooms. After the first drips slip through the coffee bed, the flow then stops — and for some time! This confused me early on, thinking the dose was too big or the grind too fine. But no, it's a case of being patient...

About four minutes after the pour, the drips start up again and increase to a steady stream, eventually petering out at about the seven minute mark.

So dose, put in the insert, add water to the fill line, put on the lid and walk away, returning seven minutes later to 2/3 of a mug of rich, smooth, clean coffee! It really is an under-appreciated brewer IMHO.

Sad to hear it's no longer available in the U.S. Here in England the newer model with silver colored mesh is still on Amazon, though at three times' the price I originally paid. I might try to contact the manufacturer Elfo to check the situation. If they are no longer being made I'll snag another soon before they disappear..

redbone

Postby redbone » Jan 12, 2019, 4:44 pm

Sometimes simple products work well and it's hard to define. Most likely a combination of design, perfected grind and tweaked process used. I felt the same about a product called "Brew Buddy" by Primula until it magically disappeared off my work desk one day. More vigilant with my immersion Cleaver coffee dripper that replaced it. Local brick and mortar store stop carrying Brew Buddy and could not justify shipping costs from distributor.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549