Steeped Coffee Bags

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jcran17

#1: Post by jcran17 »

In a recent discussion of travel coffee setups in the Espresso Machine Forum Post a pic of your travel espresso setup, the topic of single serve coffee in steeped bags came up.
emradguy wrote:However, if one is going to go bare minimum, instead of crappy hotel "coffee", I would suggest the steep bags some of the artisan roasters (like, Nossa Familia and Dragonfly to name a couple) are selling. They're actually quite good, and you can even use them to have an excellent cup on the airplane. Just ask the flight attendant for a cup of hot water and a spoon.
I wonder if anyone has used these or others. I am thinking about trying a couple and looking for any insights

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

I'm also curious about them.

Years ago I tried the coffee-in-tea-bags that I found in the grocery store (they might have been Folgers). They produced a very weak coffee. I tried using two and even three at once and still I got coffee flavored tea.

More recently I made my own tea bags, using empty tea bags that my wife fills with loose leaf tea. Once again I ended up with poor extraction. The coffee is all bunched up in the bag so I imagine that the infusion is inefficient. Perhaps a finer grind would work but then there would be more junk in the cup. So I gave up on it and figured I'd just stick with cupping or jug coffee when I didn't have a brewing device.

Maybe these more expensive bags from Nossa Familia and Dragonfly are better. They actually look like the same product, just with coffee from the different roasters.

I'm skeptical after trying numerous expensive instant coffees and being very disappointed with all of them. Most recently I splurged for a backpacking trip and bought some really expensive instant from Ritual. They're a great roaster but their instant coffee tastes like dirt.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Pressino

#3: Post by Pressino »

I use bags like these from Amazon:

50Pcs Portable Coffee Filter Paper Bag Hanging Ear Drip Coffee Bag Single Serve Disposable Drip Coffee Filter Bag Perfect for Travel, Camping, Home, Office

(Copy and paste the above into Google search and the picture will comeup and you can click on that...)

I grind about 10-11g of coffee and seal each bag with a thermal sealer. Then place each bags in an airtight thermally sealable pouch...sorry I couldn't find an online picture, but they are 4x5" and fit the bags perfectly and look nice. They will keep coffee "fresh" tasting for a few days. Brews just the right amount for pourover into a small Fellow thermal cup. Great for work and travelling (where you can't ordon't feel like taking a hand grinder). 8)

cskorton

#4: Post by cskorton »

There was a local roaster here in Philly that used to sell them. I got a free sample once and gave it a shot.

I thought it was very weak and watery. It was a lighter roast too, so maybe a large dose would've been better? Granted, I'm more of an espresso drinker so I like a stronger cup, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

cskorton wrote:I thought it was very weak and watery. It was a lighter roast too, so maybe a large dose would've been better? Granted, I'm more of an espresso drinker so I like a stronger cup, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
The Nossa Familia bags have 14.5g of coffee. With a 20% extraction and 8oz of water (the amount of water they recommend) the strength would be about 1.2% TDS. That's the traditional target for coffee strength but, like you, I find that to be on the weak side most of the time. I took home some coffee from a selection of local cafes a few years ago and tested them. They were in the 1.5-1.8% range.

If you instead used 6.5oz of water you'd theoretically get a 1.5% cup. But you lose about an ounce to the grounds. So with Nossa Familia you'd be paying $2 for a 5.5oz cup of coffee.

My homemade bags had plenty of coffee and the result was still a weak brew. Maybe there was too much coffee in the bag.