Starbucks moving from batch brew to single servings using new tech - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

Alwayzbakin wrote:Clover
Thanks, guys, and wow -- the once and future Clover. I wonder if it's still as flat tasting.
Jim Schulman

roadman
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by roadman »

another_jim wrote:I wonder if it's still as flat tasting.
When Keith still had Venia Roasters in Bothell, WA, he had a Clover in his roastery. When I came by to pickup some beans, Keith was kind enough to demo some of his coffee on the Clover. The cups he pulled just blew me away. I told him I was surprised how good the coffee was because I had heard some negative things about the machine plus the coffee I had from it at another shop was pretty meh.

He said that his previous experience with the Clover was quite positive which is why he decided to purchase one before Starbucks bought them all up. From watching him brew with it, although he had the sprezzatura to make it look easy, it seemed like it took some real skill to tease an excellent cup from it.

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

About 2 years ago, someone in Santa Cruz had 2 Clover units, both with there own level of disrepair, for sale for pretty cheap. It was kinda tempting to drive down and take a look at them. But Starbucks isn't going to help any outside "competitor" with product support or parts, so unless you're a darn good electrical engineer and capable of frankensteining one together out of two units, good luck!

All the coffees I've had on them were mindblowingly great. We used to have one here in the Mission, at Ritual, that later went to their Napa location, which I also visited, specifically to try the Clover.

I do think the same result can be obtained nowadays with the Ground Control brewer. Both have tight control over what is essentially a polished, immersion brew method.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Milligan (original poster)

#15: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Well, glad they didn't gobble up Ground Control... at least not yet. It seems like this is driven purely from a process efficiency point of view for Starbucks not necessarily wanting to up quality. Did the original Clover produce coffee faster than batch brew? Or perhaps, they are trying to eliminate pour overs with a "fancy technology" they can pass off to the consumer as special.

Pressino

#16: Post by Pressino »

Acavia wrote:What are those black things in the hopper?
Large mouse (or rat) droppings? :shock:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

Milligan wrote:Well, glad they didn't gobble up Ground Control... at least not yet. It seems like this is driven purely from a process efficiency point of view for Starbucks not necessarily wanting to up quality. Did the original Clover produce coffee faster than batch brew? Or perhaps, they are trying to eliminate pour overs with a "fancy technology" they can pass off to the consumer as special.
I'm not sure if the old clover was faster, but it did involve some hands-on to manually stir the grounds.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272