Stagg X vs XF

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
iBrew

#1: Post by iBrew »

Hey guys! Looking for some input here. I'm thinking of buying a Stagg XF set but I read that it's different than the X but no explanation on why it's different, does anyone here have both and do you notice a taste difference between them? Ive been reading a lot of rave reviews about the X and how it has improved sweetness over the V60 so it's got my attention but would prefer the XF for the flexibility if I want to make two cups.

CathyWeeks

#2: Post by CathyWeeks »

I bought both. :D

The two are literally identical except for one thing: height. I put them side-by-side, and couldn't find any other difference.

Yes, you can use the XF to brew one cup, and yeah, it should produce the same results (or perhaps indistinguishable for most folks is a more accurate statement) as brewing one cup in the smaller brewer. I decided to get the X also because the filters are bigger for the XF and I wanted to be putting less paper into the compost when I do only make one cup which is most of the time. I could presumably put a smaller filter into the the bigger brewer, but that struck me as a little ... infelicitous, and I just bought the second, smaller brewer. I justify it because coffee is one of my main hobbies. :-)

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
iBrew (original poster)

#3: Post by iBrew (original poster) » replying to CathyWeeks »

Thank you Cathy!!! I'll be picking up the XF set then. Appreciate the feedback :D

MikeTheBlueCow

#4: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

CathyWeeks wrote:I bought both. :D

The two are literally identical except for one thing: height. I put them side-by-side, and couldn't find any other difference.

Yes, you can use the XF to brew one cup, and yeah, it should produce the same results (or perhaps indistinguishable for most folks is a more accurate statement) as brewing one cup in the smaller brewer. I decided to get the X also because the filters are bigger for the XF and I wanted to be putting less paper into the compost when I do only make one cup which is most of the time. I could presumably put a smaller filter into the the bigger brewer, but that struck me as a little ... infelicitous, and I just bought the second, smaller brewer. I justify it because coffee is one of my main hobbies. :-)
About what size brew do you use with the X? I regularly make 10g up to 15g doses (150 to 240g water) - do you think I could do a bloom+one large pour recipe with 15g and 240g water? Or would the X be more suitable for the 10g/150g amount with the single large pour style recipe?

CathyWeeks

#5: Post by CathyWeeks » replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

I tend to use (depending on grind) 18-25g coffee to 400g water in the X.

I measured how much water the two brewers held when empty (in other words, this isn't taking into consideration the displacement by the filter and coffee or whatever the grounds absorb), and the small one holds approximately 200 ml of water, the bigger one about 350 ml. I would think that if you want to do a single large pour rather than pulse pouring, or even slow continuous pouring, the bigger one would be more suitable? The X should be able to handle your 10/150 for sure, but the 15/240 might be a little tight, and certainly nothing bigger than that.

MikeTheBlueCow

#6: Post by MikeTheBlueCow » replying to CathyWeeks »

Thanks, very helpful info.

mbbrew

#7: Post by mbbrew »

I bought the XF on accident instead of the X. I mixed up which was which. When I'm brewing for two people I use their filters and use a Kalita 155 or 185 filter if I am brewing for just myself. I would think if you typically drink 15g of coffee at a time that the X would be much better suited since you can pour much closer to the bed. Plus the special filters for the XF are pricey and less widely available.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
CathyWeeks

#8: Post by CathyWeeks »

Have you ever tried using the X filters in the XF, when brewing a smaller amount? If so, how finicky is it, to do so?