SSP Lab Sweet Clones

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
zero610

#1: Post by zero610 »

Whatever happened to the SSP clones of the cast Lab Sweet burrs? Am I imagining I read something about that a while back? Maybe an instagram post or something? Regardless, I haven't heard anything since. Any new information floating around out there?

heytchap

#2: Post by heytchap »

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

I think this is the post referred to: SSP 98mm Lab Sweet Coming 2023

Haven't heard anything since.

iyayy

#4: Post by iyayy »

u didnt mention size.

64mm has been around for awhile, there's lot of users.
80mm is available for purchase from ssp site http://www.espressotool.com/.
i bought from them the 64mm labsweet (also called cast version /cv) got within a week by dhl.

83mm lab sweet was announced to be in works from instagram, not listed yet

zero610 (original poster)

#5: Post by zero610 (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:I think this is the post referred to: SSP 98mm Lab Sweet Coming 2023

Haven't heard anything since.
Oops, yes I did mean the 98mm version. Thanks for the thread link. I guess it's a bit early in 2023 to be looking for these...

ducats

#6: Post by ducats replying to zero610 »

SSP Lab Sweet in 98mm form seem to have died in the R&D phase. SSP posted on IG about 11 weeks ago how he switched to 83mm instead.

zero610 (original poster)

#7: Post by zero610 (original poster) replying to ducats »

Well, there ya go. I guess the 98mm burr space is saturated enough. Thanks for the find buried in Instagram. I would have never found that on my own!

ziggomatic

#8: Post by ziggomatic »

Anyone with a DF83 get their hands on the new SSP Sweet Lab burrs yet? It looks like both miicoffee and DF64Coffee have them available and currently in stock.

I'm highly interested myself, would love to hear if anyone has experience.

kidlat

#9: Post by kidlat »

I've had the SSP Lab Sweet Red Speed burrs in my DF83 for the past week, seasoned with 3 kg of cheap dark roast from Costco. It is taking time to dial in, but overall, I am enjoying the shots pulled from them. The cups have been complex and with a lovely balance of acidity and body. I've pulled some terrific shots that tasted like high % cacao specialty chocolate bars (a Dandelion Chocolate bar of Madagascar origin comes to mind), typically when the draw times were >= 25 seconds after pre-infusion. I've also pulled brighter and less-bodied shots, usually when the draw times were less than that.

It is taking me a long time to dial in these burrs per set of beans. My grinding range on the DF83 is between 7 to 4 right now, depending on the coffee. Using the Italmill burrs, my setting range was between 13 to 10. I am surprised by this apparent reduction in range and wondering if I did not zero it out properly or need to adjust the alignment.

I pulled shots today of an Ethiopian natural / Kenya washed blend I roasted and an Ethiopian decaf roasted by Temple Coffee. The decaf shot pulled super fast at the setting I had for my home-roasted blend, and a second shot of decaf still pulled fast, even after an adjustment. Despite the extractions being fast or slow, the shots taste good. Not perfect yet, but consistently better and more enjoyable than Italmill. I'm geeking out on these burrs right now.

Newdent

#10: Post by Newdent »

Would be interesting if someone compared all the lab sweet variations