SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
gritts

#1: Post by gritts »

User Neil.Pryde on kaffee-netz.de called this one to my attention, and has a set of the SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs. Frank Durra at Titus quoted me 500-520 euros to the USA. Has anyone gotten to try these burrs? According to Neil.Pryde, "These new brew burrs make the best cup for my personal taste I ever had, clear, transparent, high extraction, beautiful texture, there's a lot going on in the cup. They are much more transparent to the original pre 2015, definitely my absolute favorites."

Has anyone else tried these burrs?

lukehk

#2: Post by lukehk »

Not sure if it's oh yes or oh no..ha ha. I have 2 sets of SSP burrs and my next step was to get one set reground pre 2015 and sell the other as I think I'll go all in filter with my ek. Even more to consider now... But suprised this is the first I've heard of them if it's a new set

Advertisement
Eiern

#3: Post by Eiern »

I'm interested in these.

I want a true pre 2015 clone the most, as that would be the most «right» thing to have in the EK, but if these really have the exact same finishing section of original pre 2015 but with machined first sections I think they can be good and maybe a better choice than SSP Cast as those went towards espresso for a burr set famed for filter...

I'm getting to know the Ultra Low Fines in my EK at the moment and will borrow a set of Low Uniformity soon.

I hope someone with experience will compare these to LU and original EK pre 2015. I want the best pure filter set I can get my hands on as I'll have another grinder for espresso.

zero610

#4: Post by zero610 »

WTB a second opinion. Hopefully someone else will give them a try.

Are these so new that there isn't a lot of information out there yet? I don't even see them listed on SSPs website. If they are so good and really rival one of the best filter burrs out there, why no info, test samples, etc?

Eiern

#5: Post by Eiern »

It's so new, just past the rumors stage (Titus was teasing it this under a month ago, see pics) and now someone have just gotten to actually try out a set. Yeah, SSP has not listed it yet even and don't know when they will. They've been so behind on burrs for a long while now. Don't know if this is a request/collaboration with Titus or all SSP idea.

gritts (original poster)

#6: Post by gritts (original poster) »

zero610 wrote:WTB a second opinion. Hopefully someone else will give them a try.

Are these so new that there isn't a lot of information out there yet? I don't even see them listed on SSPs website. If they are so good and really rival one of the best filter burrs out there, why no info, test samples, etc?
Frank definitely has them in stock, send him a DM.

Ad-85

#7: Post by Ad-85 »

Fines are essential to my blue bottle dripper. I don't like using my MAX SLM for brewing cause it produces no fines. Will these burrs produce fines? Or are they just another unimodal burrs made only for v60s.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Advertisement
rmongiovi

#8: Post by rmongiovi »

I've always assumed that all burrs produce fines since coffee beans break at weak points in the bean structure not necessarily where the burrs want them to. The question is what proportion of fines get produced. I don't know anything about the blue bottle dripper, but maybe you could ask Hansung at SSP if he has a particle distribution size plot for these burrs. That would give you an idea what proportion of fines it produces.

Ad-85

#9: Post by Ad-85 »

Thanks! Never thought of asking them directly tbh
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

gritts (original poster)

#10: Post by gritts (original poster) »

Just received these from Frank at Titus. It'll be a few weeks before I'm able to season and test them because I'm adamant that I want to go side-by-side with the Pre-2015 EK43 burrs, which are currently in my MAX. I'll update in due time!