SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 9

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by JonathanMichael »

Yes, I have measured with a refractometer. For example, Patrick Rolf recommends a TDS of around 1.25% with his brewer which I have. Even when I use very course grounds it is hard to get under 1.50%.

I and using some coffee from Regalia, Sey and also some coffees I roast myself on a Roest.

Ejquin

#82: Post by Ejquin »

1.25 seems low to me, 1.5 seems great to me! but to each their own. Can't you just go really coarse until you get to your desired TDS? Like, at some point you're going to have to get a lower extraction...

Advertisement
JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by JonathanMichael »

Yes, I can just keep going coarser but somehow it just feels weird. Oh well...there's much bigger problems on the word than a high tds! ;)

I'm still experimenting to try and determine which brew methods take advantage of this burr set's potential.

Ejquin

#84: Post by Ejquin »

If you're aiming for a specific TDS you could always dilute the brew after with your brew water

rmongiovi

#85: Post by rmongiovi »

Is there any chance we could return this thread to talking about burrs? You know, like the thread title states?

I'm still actually interested in how the SSP cast burrs compare to the new brew burrs.

Dav

#86: Post by Dav replying to rmongiovi »

I disagree, I feel like subjective/objective experience with the coffee brewed from these burrs is relevant and fits the spirit of the thread. Especially considering this is the "brewing" subforum.

Comparing the brewing burrs to a completely different burrset seems to me to be a greater departure from the subject of these burrs than what is being discussed above.

frankqxq

#87: Post by frankqxq »

Did anyone try the combo brew burr/flair 58? Does brew burr go fine enough in your grinder, and how does it taste? I see a lot of comments saying you need to grind finer for flair 58, and brew burr may not go fine enough.

Advertisement
JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by JonathanMichael »

I haven't tried with a Flair 58 but with light roast coffees these burrs are just barely able to grind fine enough for 1:3 shots. Others may have experienced something different however...

I would assume you could manipulate the pressure/flow on the Flair 58 to highlight these burrs capabilities. However, my guess is that even on a direct lever machine you may be grinding not far from the touch point.

mbbrew

#89: Post by mbbrew »

JonathanMichael wrote:Yes, I have measured with a refractometer. For example, Patrick Rolf recommends a TDS of around 1.25% with his brewer which I have. Even when I use very course grounds it is hard to get under 1.50%.

I and using some coffee from Regalia, Sey and also some coffees I roast myself on a Roest.
I actually remember doing Hoffman's brewer review, when he used the April recipe on their brewer, it actually gave him the highest or second highest extraction in the test, even though they promote low TDS extractions. I use the plastic one as my most used dripper and while I don't have a refractometer, most of my brews seem to be strong and balanced compared to other drippers.

JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#90: Post by JonathanMichael »

Thanks for that insight Morgan. Now that you mentioned it, I remember the James Hoffman video with the April.