SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 8

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Ejquin

#71: Post by Ejquin »

I'd love to hear more about any comparisons between the SSP version of the pre-2015 ek burrs vs. the new brew burrs. I believe one user here said it wasn't a big difference but if anyone has more experience I'd love to hear.

Eiern

#72: Post by Eiern »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:Thank you!
I feel that Lance's recipe for the Kono with "double bloom" until 2 minutes gives a lot of body maintaining fruity notes better than any other method I know with that much body. Do the 98 brew burrs change or add anything to that in your opinion?
Kind of contrary to that the April brew method keeps measurable extraction quite low but extracts fruity notes and floral noted even better in my opinion. It would be great to know if the brew burrs add anything here as well?
If you would like to try the Kalita probably works well for the recipe too. There is the recipe at 5:13 in the video: video
Tried the 13/200g version now, with a black honey anaerobic El Salvador that is a little darker roasted than I prefer, but it worked out pretty well with this bean. Enough body and flavor, didn't feel sour with this bean even with the no bloom fast extraction. I always go a tad coarser for Kalita vs V60 and I think the grind was pretty much spot on. Will try it with a more preferred bean.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#73: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to Eiern »

Thank you for testing this.
I would like to warn you about using high altitude beans, especially Ethiopians as the April recipe tends to stall almost as bad as no bypass recipes. There are exceptions to this of course and staying at 12g helps a lot.
For faster draining beans I prefer to raise the dose to 20g or more. For 20g I feel 330ml work better than the recommended 300ml, basically keeping it the same 1:16.6 ratio from the 12g and 30g recipes.
I should have warned you about using darker than nordic roasts as well, but that shouldn't mean that there aren't exceptions either.
Never the less I am a fan of the April recipe even with the perceived restrictions.
Great that you first try lead to good results!

Eiern

#74: Post by Eiern replying to coffeeOnTheBrain »

Switched to Apollon's Gold and that didn't work as well, it was sweet and fairly clean but did not extract enough for that April method, maybe if I go way finer but long bloom Kono worked well.

JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#75: Post by JonathanMichael »

In general, which brew methods and/or brew parameters are most suitable for this burr set? I have these in a Nautilus and find them to extract extremely quickly in general. I have tried April brewer, Blue Bottle, Hario Switch, Kono, Mugen, etc.

Do you find them to shine on the finer end of the spectrum? Or, larger doses and coarser grinds?

Thanks

Ejquin

#76: Post by Ejquin »

Can you explain what you mean by "extract really quickly?" Do you mean your brew times are fast?

JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#77: Post by JonathanMichael »

I seem to notice that even with coarser grinds and shorter brew times these hit higher tds and extractions.

Ejquin

#78: Post by Ejquin »

Ah, ok. So that doesn't see like a bad problem to have, no?

JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#79: Post by JonathanMichael »

Ha ;) Well I suppose it's a good thing as long as you can play to this advantage effectively. I definitely have trouble following most brew guides or techniques and was wondering if anyone had dialed in some adjustments that makes the most of these burrs without hitting harshness.

Ejquin

#80: Post by Ejquin »

Are you measuring the extractions? If you're truly getting high extractions with a quick brew time, that's good. It means you're likely getting an even extraction as well. If you got a high extraction but the brew was really slow or clogging I might think that maybe you're getting channeling and highly extracting parts of the coffee, but underextracting others.

So, if you're getting high extractions and a quick brew time, but the brew is harsh, I'd maybe look at the coffee and the roaster. Are you sure you're using really good coffee roasted really well?