SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 6

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
gritts (original poster)

#51: Post by gritts (original poster) »

zero610 wrote:Any insights from those that are using these burrs in a variable speed grinder what differences high vs low RPM are making in taste?
I find the lower RPMs (~400) on my P100 taste better than higher RPMs (~1500) using the SSP Brew burrs, but I have a limited sample size. If I wanted to slow my drawdown, I would simply go finer on my dial or add a bit of agitation, not necessarily switch to the higher RPM. I have been locked in at 400 for a good amount of time-granted, I just got the grinder a month ago.

zero610

#52: Post by zero610 » replying to gritts »

Yeah - I broke down and bought a set. Only done about 5 or 6 cups so far but same conclusions as yours - I prefer the lower rpms on these (I've been at 600 but haven't experimented much yet). Seems only the MK burrs like the high RPMs.

Dav

#53: Post by Dav »

Adding my experience on the newest 98mm brewing burrs here:

These burrs present clarity and transparency in the end cup to a shocking degree. The tradeoff seems to be lower body and sweetness, at least as far as where I've been grinding at ~400 RPM and using my v60. Even when grinding too fine, the body and astringency in the cup are almost tea-like. It's all very interesting, and I continue to play with my grinder settings to see where these burrs truly shine - I have a feeling I will need to adjust my technique as well.

Eiern

#54: Post by Eiern »

I think they get better with more use or as you learn them as I get really sweet cups lately. I use V60 the most, but also quite a bit Kono, Kalita and the occasional regular Aeropress or Melodrip no bypass Aeropress with no plunger.

Brews are usually lacking in two ways:
Either I didn't go quite fine enough with a good and light bean so that the brew is good but a little weak and lacking and I know by going a little finer I can hit a sweet spot, or I need to keep grinding the same but switch to a slightly higher extracting method (say switch from V60 to 2x bloom 2x pour Kono and keep kettle on stove during blooms).

Or the beans are not the best and defects show up, and then it's a matter of reducing extraction a little and hope it will be drinkable, usually going to a short bloom V60 and a tad coarser grind, maybe drop temp slightly.

I totally agree about the revealing nature. With great beans the result is great, anything off with bean and it's clear as day and not as enjoyable. I also find they extract really well so easily that I have to watch out, not all beans handle a high extraction. For great beans I can do whatever I want without downsides it seems. But it seems I really only like light roasts with these.

I'm very happy with them and have no urge to change thess burrs for filter, but I expect some users might want to have something a bit more forgiving, maybe at a loss of clarity.

I only do very light swirls to settle bed and the brews are really fast lately (especially if I include the Melodrip for some of the pouring).

I hope to get a grind distribution sample done soon from my Brew burrs in EK43S and Ultra Low Fine in P100 for brew and turbo espresso, would be fun as I think they both are fantastic but different burrs and I wonder what that difference between them are. A graph don't tell you the whole world but fun nonetheless.

Eiern

#55: Post by Eiern »

Dav wrote: These burrs present clarity and transparency in the end cup to a shocking degree. The tradeoff seems to be lower body and sweetness, at least as far as where I've been grinding at ~400 RPM and using my v60. Even when grinding too fine, the body and astringency in the cup are almost tea-like. It's all very interesting, and I continue to play with my grinder settings to see where these burrs truly shine - I have a feeling I will need to adjust my technique as well.
This mirrors my experience with them when they were new so I'd give them some more time/beans.

frankqxq

#56: Post by frankqxq »

I have consulted multiple members and decided to give this burr set a try. Just got it installed in my Ultra a few days ago. I don't have a lot of inexpensive beans to season the burr set, and I do confirm that the burr set initially tastes a little out of place for me, at least when compared to low uniformity burr, which is sweeter and more pleasant.

I feel I still have not dialed in the grind setting yet, especially as I switch beans day to day. The burr seems less forgiving for grind setting at least for now. My cup right now is either 1) quite sour (even for someone who likes Kenya), 2) slightly less acdic when over extracting but too strong/dense and almost taste bitter. In terms of clarity, I feel the acidic profile really masked the underlying coffee if not dialed in right, they may not taste weak per say, feel like the current situation may be due to the lack of fine particles. Trying to see if switching up the brew ratio may help ameliorate the acidic problem. Sweetness is also quite muted for now, hopefully, with more time the cup starts improving.

Dav

#57: Post by Dav » replying to frankqxq »

That's interesting - I hadn't noticed any overly sour or acidic notes with these burrs and my gear/workflow. I'm also using extremely light rwandan beans right now. What's your brewing setup and recipe?

frankqxq

#58: Post by frankqxq »

V60. I go by 1:16 ratio, 12.5g coffee, 40-140-200brew, light roast, 95C water, and normally done within 1:40 seconds as I use the "FAST" cloth filter (this filter drawdown is incredibly fast)

Dav

#59: Post by Dav » replying to frankqxq »

Ahh, it definitely sounds like you're underextracting to me. 1:40 seems like an awfully quick drawdown time. I'd also use boiling water and normal v60 filters if possible to increase contact time and extraction rate.

For reference, I've had luck using Lance Hedrick's V60 brewguide (his "easy and effective" recipe, not his "vibrant cups" recipe).

frankqxq

#60: Post by frankqxq »

It could be that the FAST filter not being a great match with the burr set. This filter paper is known for its fast drawdown so I can go much finer for grind setting without worrying about clogging and achieve a high extraction. Normally 1:3-40 for fast filter translates to 2:30 or longer brew time using Hario paper, and by using Hario the brew will most likely be overly extracted and taste bitter under same grind setting.