SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Toramarn

#31: Post by Toramarn »

Curious how you guys seasoned this brew burr set.

Jonathan Gagne/Scott Rao suggested grinding 5-6 kgs of beans at finest setting (for any burrs in general).
https://coffeeadastra.com/2019/05/27/se ... quality-2/

Hansung from SSP recommended using 1-3 kgs of dark roasted beans at coarse setting.

saamyjoon

#32: Post by saamyjoon »

I seasoned with about 3 kilos of some dark roast I bought for cheap. I used a setting between a fine aeropress and espresso.

Cafillo

#33: Post by Cafillo »

I used around 2kg beans from scrap roasts (if you're not a home roaster may you can get it from a prof. roaster for cheap).

Setting was:
1/3 fine
1/3 mid
1/3 coarse

Toramarn

#34: Post by Toramarn »

Thank you for your comments. The compromised, various grind size settings, seems interesting when we still don't have the methodology that we all agree upon, even though it may not be the efficient use of our resources. :D
Cafillo wrote:I used around 2kg beans from scrap roasts (if you're not a home roaster may you can get it from a prof. roaster for cheap).

Setting was:
1/3 fine
1/3 mid
1/3 coarse
saamyjoon wrote:I seasoned with about 3 kilos of some dark roast I bought for cheap. I used a setting between a fine aeropress and espresso.

saamyjoon

#35: Post by saamyjoon »

Eiern wrote: With the Kono I use similar to your double bloom recipe (I follow the Hedrick one exactly) for a very clear and intense brew. I have personally however not had any luck doing this recipe with a regular V60, with the V60 I don't like any longer bloom than 45 secs or else I just get bitter dry dirty taint. I tried that before I got my Kono (I got the ones with the shortest ribs). Some beans do draw down very fast even with the Kono, so that the water has almost reached the bed at 02:45 when I'm doing the final 70g pour. Still it extracts a lot. Slower brews I'm more suspicious of channeling so I'm happy with faster brew times (a slow V60 brew probably means a healthy amount of complete bypass and a lot of partial bypass).
How have you been tuning your grind size for Kono vs v60?

Eiern

#36: Post by Eiern replying to saamyjoon »

I have actually found that I use pretty much the same setting for a 12/200g V60 as a 12/200g Kono, even if the Kono is a two bloom longe brew that result in higher TDS/extraction. My Wendelboe Kiahia kenyan measured 1,51 TDS with V60 and 1,55 TDS with Kono, and both was the same setting and both tasted balanced. I find I like about those strengths with the Brew burrs. I liked lower TDS with stock EK burrs and handgrinders, but SSP are usually more unimodal and can taste weak at 'lower' TDS. But always depending on the bean.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#37: Post by baldheadracing »

Toramarn wrote:Thank you for your comments. The compromised, various grind size settings, seems interesting when we still don't have the methodology that we all agree upon, even though it may not be the efficient use of our resources. :D
These burrs have a hard coating; they should have been prepped for that coating, which makes "breaking in" irrelevant (a.k.a. deburring, using rice, grinding many kilos of coffee, what Gagne did, etc.). The whole point of a hard coating is to preserve the burr in the state it was in when coated.

"Seasoning" is applying a coat of oils to the burrs, i.e. coating your burrs with coffee oils gone stale. If you're grinding oily dark-roasted coffee, then it will take less coffee. If you're grinding lighter roasts, then it will take more coffee. If you only grind light "Nordic" roasts, then it will take a LOT of coffee. The oil coating changes how the burrs grind as beans "slide" across the flat surfaces differently when the flats are coated with oils. Most people seem to prefer the taste of coffee coming from seasoned burrs, but a few extremists (and cafés) regularly wash their burrs in soap and water.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

rmongiovi

#38: Post by rmongiovi »

There's been a lot of discussion about this on the Kafatek Forums. Physical Vapor Deposition coatings on the burrs are not smooth. It leaves tiny droplets on the coating surface that act like sandpaper. Seasoning the burrs smooths down these droplets. I presume the harder the coating the more seasoning is required.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#39: Post by baldheadracing »

That is not my understanding of ZrN deposition in particular, but I stand to be corrected.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

saamyjoon

#40: Post by saamyjoon »

Eiern wrote:I have actually found that I use pretty much the same setting for a 12/200g V60 as a 12/200g Kono, even if the Kono is a two bloom longe brew that result in higher TDS/extraction. My Wendelboe Kiahia kenyan measured 1,51 TDS with V60 and 1,55 TDS with Kono, and both was the same setting and both tasted balanced. I find I like about those strengths with the Brew burrs. I liked lower TDS with stock EK burrs and handgrinders, but SSP are usually more unimodal and can taste weak at 'lower' TDS. But always depending on the bean.
Interesting, that makes sense. I'm finding I'm using about the same grind settings as well.

What kind of final draw down times are you seeing with the Kono+double bloom recipe? I'm getting in the ~4:05-~4:40 range for most brews.