SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 15

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Taz

#141: Post by Taz »

Does anyone have any more insight as to the differences between the current iteration of brewing burrs and the original?

isido993

#142: Post by isido993 »

Here is a picture I made comparing two revisions of the brewing burrs, the one on the left is v2 (newer), on the right is v1. The differences seem quite substantial.

rmongiovi

#143: Post by rmongiovi »

Questions that come to mind. In other SSP 98mm burrs there's an "in side" burr and an "out side" burr and they're different. Are we certain that these photos are comparing the same sides of each burr variant? Do we really know that there are multiple versions of the burr set or might these differences be due to inaccuracy in the machining? Maybe all the brew burrs just look a bit different because of tolerances.

Taz

#144: Post by Taz »

Those are pretty big differences to be chalked up to manufacturing tolerances. I'm mainly wondering if it's still even worth buying them at this point. If you buy from Titus, are you getting a different burr than from ssp?

rmongiovi

#145: Post by rmongiovi »

Taz wrote:Those are pretty big differences to be chalked up to manufacturing tolerances.
Yes, exactly. So if these aren't actually burr "refinements" and are instead indicative of sloppy manufacturing it seems like a great reason to be leery of SSP burrs (except, of course, for the lack of alternatives). That's why this seems like an important question to me.

I thought I read somewhere that Titus quality checks the SSP burrs before coating and selling them. Frank might be a good source for more info on these variations. I don't know if he'd share, though.

Taz

#146: Post by Taz »

Yea. Whether it's "refinements" or inconsistencies, both are kind of a bummer. Especially if refinements mean more fines. People will be searching for the original brewing burrs just like the original EK burr.

I thought about reaching out to Titus. I might have to do that

iyayy

#147: Post by iyayy »

when 64mm unimodal was released there was lots of complains it cant do espresso. option-o and ssp probably received much much more complains about it than mentiined in forums.. a lot of people just buy the burr and do few shots and make conclusion.
worse is there are also a number of claims online that says espresso is possible (with limited info on pressure, bottomless or not, bean roasts level, etc..), well as long as coffee flows from the spout and taste okay it is fine right? while these people are wrong audience, sellers still wants to make sales.

obviously manufacturer has to protect themselves from returns and defects claim (despite everything working as intended), might as well make it espresso capable.

u dont see new 64mm unimodal v1 anymore right?

franklin270h

#148: Post by franklin270h »

isido993 wrote:Here is a picture I made comparing two revisions of the brewing burrs, the one on the left is v2 (newer), on the right is v1. The differences seem quite substantial.
going by that picture on a kneejerk reaction off the visual, hard to tell without calipers/protractor and looking from multiple angles, it would seem the newer are actually ground at an even steeper angle (where HU and others are ground fairly flat) and then finished with a shallower outfall. That *should* amount to more uniformity and the potential to grind a little finer, but won't necessarily mean it makes more fines, because from how he did it the flat teeth of the finishing section (triangle shaped teeth) actually look to be smaller than the v1. I'm not gonna speculate on whether that tastes better or worse cuz one would have to A/B them.

It's also possible that's a factor of manufacturing tolerances.

rmongiovi

#149: Post by rmongiovi »

iyayy wrote:obviously manufacturer has to protect themselves from returns and defects claim (despite everything working as intended), might as well make it espresso capable.
Forgive me for being blunt, but that's just ridiculous. There are multiple choices for 98mm burrs for espresso. Saying that the one burr designed for brewed coffee might as well be espresso capable is nonsense.

iyayy

#150: Post by iyayy »

no hard feelings, nothing to apologize for.

what i meant was just because the burr isnt designed for espresso doesnt mean there wont be people who try..
take a look at fellow ode, a brew grinder that is still abused for espresso, or the lots of attempts to turn a hopper god grinder into single dosing. there will also those that thinks brew burrs give cleanest filter taste (or just read about it), and wants to use it for espresso.. then they send ssp a message "can you make this burr do espresso too? i dont want hu, lf or ulf. i want brew burr".

i do get your point, and i understand it is ridiculous from perspective of someone who understand and wants a specialty tools, but manufacturer also deals with lots of people who dont want to understand but still wants to be special.