SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 14

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
pawesen

#131: Post by pawesen »

franklin270h wrote:Really? like this specific brew burr or you mean the different geometry ones
I meant the same "brewing" burr. These photos were shared by multiple owners on EAF discord, you can see the difference in the geometry on the highlighted lines:

The one I had looks the closest to the middle one. Anecdotally, I've noticed each new revision is more capable in espresso by comparing shot behaviors on the same/similar profile (6b turbo) on DE1. A friend who got his burrset as soon as it was released in 2021 wasn't even able to build 6b for some beans. I had to grind 15-30um from chirp for most coffees, and seems like the most recent revision can build more pressure at coarser settings, and the sweet spot is around 40-50um. All of the revisions were fitted in a P100.

uncola

#132: Post by uncola »

Received brew burrs from Titus today january 5th the year of our lord hoffman 2023
They fit perfectly in my china clone ek43s and the pourover coffee tastes incredible now. I'm so happy with them. Frank is nice too
So far did one clever dripper and one april pourover and it's soooo good

here's pics of the burrs

franklin270h

#133: Post by franklin270h »

pawesen wrote:I meant the same "brewing" burr. These photos were shared by multiple owners on EAF discord, you can see the difference in the geometry on the highlighted lines:

The one I had looks the closest to the middle one. Anecdotally, I've noticed each new revision is more capable in espresso by comparing shot behaviors on the same/similar profile (6b turbo) on DE1. A friend who got his burrset as soon as it was released in 2021 wasn't even able to build 6b for some beans. I had to grind 15-30um from chirp for most coffees, and seems like the most recent revision can build more pressure at coarser settings, and the sweet spot is around 40-50um. All of the revisions were fitted in a P100.
Interesting. I wonder if it's a revision or a difference in tolerance. Granted revising mid-release is something he's done before for sure.

Just the nature of that finishing section, the difference in the pre-2015 style and HU or new coffee burrs is about a 2.5 degree angle on the final section, so any variance even fractions of a degree can make a difference on it whether appearance wise or functional. I've seen some inconsistencies in the regrinds as well so I'm not sure that the machining process isn't part of it.

pawesen

#134: Post by pawesen »

franklin270h wrote:Granted revising mid-release is something he's done before for sure.
Yeah 64mm multipurpose burrs are another good example, there have been several different revisions posted on EAF. You never know what exactly you'll get when you order from Hansung. It's probably okay for home use though. I've only had one revision of 98mm brew burrs but comparing my notes with friends they do seem to behave a bit differently, mainly in terms of fines generation both in filter and espresso range.

kushkush

#135: Post by kushkush »

Very excited that I have a set arriving Monday. I'll report back here once I get them in and brewing. :D

kushkush

#136: Post by kushkush »

I just received my Brewing Burrs and was first and foremost surprised at how much quieter the burrs sound. I almost wish to have weighed the new Titus/SSP vs stock EK coffee burrs before installing them. It also sounds different grinding. Exciting to get first brews out tomorrow morning!

kushkush

#137: Post by kushkush »

First morning dial in with the new burrs, so I thought to document my (very early) experience here. Keep in mind these don't have a ton of coffee run through it yet so I'm early in the break in period.

Over the last few days I have been brewing one specific coffee (Baroana Family natural orange bourbon roasted by Morgon) with stock EK burrs and had it dialed in quite well. My standard 15-250g v60 using the 01 brewer.
I had 1.48 TDS with my last brew on the stock EK burrs so I'll use that as reference. This morning I managed to hit as close as it gets at 1.49 and then 1.47 TDS on the new burrs. So in the 22% EY range.

Impressions:
-Wow. It's like drinking coffee from another type of machine entirely.

-The stock EK burrs for this brew/coffee was fruit forward, resiny-sweet, balanced tartaric and citric acidity with medium high intensity, but with some astringency. Flavour notes I would say are naval orange, blackberry jam, and milk chocolate. Not the absolute perfect brew but something I would be more than happy to be served at a very high quality cafe.

-The new burrs present SO differently. The brew is very fruit forward with new flavours presenting with more transparency. Tasted a lot more like currant and blackberry, orange, and (newly) concord grape. Less jammy, but more direct. It's as if the brew is in 4k vs 1080p. Acidity quality is super clear. Sweetness is less dense but still there. It's like comparing a molasses sweetness before to a white sugar sweetness. But, what shocked me the most is just how much the mouthfeel had changed. Even at 22% EY the brew was light, soft, and clean. I feel like I could push it in either direction in terms of extraction and still get good, but varying results.

Anyways, so far I'm quite happy with the results in my very early brews and I can't wait to brew more coffees with this set up.

EvanOz85

#138: Post by EvanOz85 replying to kushkush »

That first sip from the Brewing burrs is a pretty "WOW" moment huh? Hope you continue to enjoy them...they're my favorite filter burrs by far. Also capable of really nice fast extraction espresso.

kushkush

#139: Post by kushkush »

Definitely! I'm still in a bit of shock after the first day with these burrs. 6 brews - some slight differences but ALL we're similar in that they had no bitterness. I mean it - zero bitterness. I still feel like I can go finer and finer which I'll try tomorrow. I feel like I'm hitting a sweet spot at 23.5% EY. I think I was sort of like a kid in a candy shop but I have somehow managed to catch the dragon I've been chasing for 8+ years.

Did one cupping today too. For those who are interested I'm probably going to land around 7 on the EK for cupping for 11-180g. I'll report back with results once I find those VST filters to measure cupping extraction.

kushkush

#140: Post by kushkush »

4 x 12g brews today with the Kalita 155 brewing Sey Bukeye. Started the day with some acid bombs. Super sour at 21% - I mean it was like licking a lime. Once I got more dialed in I was happy with the slightly higher extraction brews. Top tier brews again which I would be more than happy being served in the best cafes.