SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs - Page 12

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#111: Post by baldheadracing »

EvanOz85 wrote:How strange. The general consensus on pre-breakers is that they actually increase clarity. I wonder if something else is going on here.
Just speculating, but horizontal vs. vertical burr loading? I guess that one could somewhat approximate this by feeding the beans by hand into the P100.

FWIW, no pre-breakers on the Nautilus.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

EvanOz85

#112: Post by EvanOz85 »

Definitely warrants more experimentation. I already have a P100 with Brewing burrs pre-ordered so I'll see what I can coax out of it.

EvanOz85

#113: Post by EvanOz85 »

Just got my P100 in, and I think they mistakenly installed HU burrs instead of the brewing burrs. Can anyone confirm from these pictures?

Cafillo

#114: Post by Cafillo »

Looks like Brewing burrs to me. HU are different.
Red Speed also works for Brewing - but I have only seen Red Speed on HU so far.

EvanOz85

#115: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Cafillo »

Take a closer look at this pic. The circled cutting edges on mine is much further from the the outer edge of the burr than on the pictures of the Brewing burrs in this thread. These look like HU's.

hooplehead

#116: Post by hooplehead »

You could also try looking at some of the pictures people have uploaded of their brew burrs on the espresso aficionados discord. I think they noticed that the burrs were different or had been changed and some of them could grind find enough to pull espresso shots.

EvanOz85

#117: Post by EvanOz85 replying to hooplehead »

Hansung says these are the Brewing burrs. But gosh they sure look like the HU's to me.

hooplehead

#118: Post by hooplehead »

I see what you meant about the cutting edge being further away from the other pictures. If you were to go were I mentioned, in the burr-catalog section, on around November 24th and on people started posting pics of their brew burrs and they all had variations. The older burrs posted, looked like the burrs that had been posted earlier here.

I also ordered brew burrs for my p100 that got delivered late November. I also had that doubt, over wether or not the right burrs would be put in place or what kind of brew burrs I would get. I havent opened up the grinder to see what the burrs look like. I just know mine don't grind fine enough for traditional espresso. And I guess the delivery box said "brew" on the side and I've trusted them on that lol

Cafillo

#119: Post by Cafillo »

You have to watch the "triangles" on the very outer side. This will grind the beans at the end.
Not the part you have circeled. It's a matter on thikness and how deep Hansung went down with the tool of his CNC.
The part may prebreake or pregrind the beans.
But the Pre15 taste is given by the outer triangles.

I guess. No, I'm very sure.

HU have different triangles.
Red Speed are HU
Silvernight are my Brewing burrs. Bought it last year.

Eiern

#120: Post by Eiern »

There are a few differences but the most obvious one would be the outfall of your brew burrs with the smaller flat triangles. Another is how the outer triangles are less tilted and the point inwards end up in between the grooves of the sections before them.

HU has shallow outfall, larger longer triangles that are tilted a little and those triangles are more aligned with the section before so their point end up pretty much exactly at the edge of the edge coming before it.

Enjoy your Brew burrs, season them well!