Spinn coffee brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
poison

#1: Post by poison »

I've been following these guys from the beginning. I've had a bunch of email conversations, and just last Saturday I met them (but didn't get to try the machine).

Today's dailycoffeenews.com email gave the best rundown yet of the capabilities:

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2015/10/07/t ... ome-heads/

I've read the patent material, which they own, and it's pretty awesome. I'm seriously intrigued by the ability to manipulate all variables on the fly, and as a roaster, I like the connectivity to the customer.

Because face it, whoever can come up with something combining the convenience of keurig with what most of us here consider good brewing practices, will have a knockout winner.

I'm supposed to drive up to the bay area to taste it very soon, I'll report back.

So what do you guys think?

Shife

#2: Post by Shife »

Very intriguing.

Although the string of failures in the related stories below is oddly relevant.

poison (original poster)

#3: Post by poison (original poster) »

It could fail, of course, but they're way, way beyond most of these machines, and have a crazy team assembled to make it happen. Highway 1, the accelerator, is involved. They're one of six featured on Syfy's 'who wants to be a bazzillionaire', or whatever it's called. They have a lot of momentum, so I'm very hopeful.

Fausto

#4: Post by Fausto »

Pretty cool, hard to say anything but that at this point, because I certainly haven't had coffee brewed using centrifugal force before! I'm wary of claims that it can make real espresso - I imagine it would be just an even more concentrated immersion style brew, but who knows.

It reminds me a little of the iCoffee

As I know Shife is aware, it definitely has some things in common (the fact that they're both all-in-ones) with another kickstarter currently making the rounds, the Bruvelo

I'll be watching!

poison (original poster)

#5: Post by poison (original poster) »

Sweet Lord, please no iCoffee comparisons! Having used the iCoffee and been tasked with sending the company feedback, it's nothing like that. The iCoffee is cumbersome, with extremely long (10+ minute) brew time. The only thing they have in common is the word swirl with the word spin, as imagined in the iCoffee description.

The bruvelo is pour over, though it is connected.

I take issue with the descriptor 'espresso' in relation to the spinn machine, but I'm not sure it's actually not. If it's brewed at 8-9 bar, at the correct temp, and you get around 2oz in 25sec....is it not espresso because it didn't come from copper, steel and brass? Because the pressure was applied by a centrifuge instead of a pump? I dunno. I guess I'll make up my mind when I taste it. If it tastes like espresso....

But there's no doubt it isn't like aeropress calling their coffee espresso. Spinn is generating far more than hand pressure .

I'm really curious as to how cold brew, extracted under pressure, will taste. And yeah, the ability for a roaster to set brew parameters, and the customer's machine to automatically set those parameters for the coffee when you dump the coffee in the hopper, is awesome.

Shife

#6: Post by Shife »

I love seeing all the development going on with brewers. Delicious centrifugal cremaz? I suppose we will see.

Fausto

#7: Post by Fausto »

poison wrote:Sweet Lord, please no iCoffee comparisons!
Lol, I wasn't implying much beyond that fact that they both spin the coffee. I know the consensus on the iCoffee is pretty mediocre. I've never tried one out myself.

I think this could be pretty cool, but at only $500, it all just seems too good to be true right now. I wonder what some people would be willing to pay for a well built machine that could pull espresso like a Slayer, and mimic immersion/pourover brews at the same time. One thing I don't see in any of the pictures is a steam wand or a second spout, and I can't imagine that they're planning on ignoring the milk drinkers out there...

vit

#8: Post by vit »

Isn't this just a better built variation of centrifugal coffee machine from 80's with added grinder?
There is a demo of it, quite bad, but you can get some idea how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guE5CxYBHgU

Fausto

#9: Post by Fausto »

vit wrote:Isn't this just a better built variation of centrifugal coffee machine from 80's with added grinder?
Not really. If their claims are accurate it seems quite a bit more than just an old machine with a tacked on grinder:

"You can decide for each serving the water temperature, water volume, water flow, coffee volume, coffee grind, preinfusion volume, preinfusion time, and rotation speed that makes the pressure,"

Not to mention the companion app w/ ability to save profiles.

Take it all with a grain of salt, but it sounds impressive.

vit

#10: Post by vit »

Well, I mean working principle, which is said to be like a washing machine, similar to that Bosch

Things you listed are easily achieved with 1$ microprocessor and a few sensors