Specialty k-cups?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

I'm currently at a location for the next few months with only Keurig for coffee options. The coffee is not pleasant, and I'll just leave it at that. I get k-cups are somewhat counter-specialty but are there any specialty-focused k-cups/brands on the market that can deliver more than musty/earthy, smoky/burnt dark roast I'm getting from it seems whatever I put in the Keurig?

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by walr00s »

You can't buy a cheap grinder and use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Brewers ... B00LGEKOMS ?

I've had more k-cups than I would care to admit, and while I found the Illy ones the best...I'd still be perfectly happy to never drink one again

Advertisement
DamianWarS (original poster)

#3: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to walr00s »

I have a good hand grinder and some manual brew options plus that refillable k-cup (or one like it at least), that part is not a problem. the problem is a good source of coffee. locally that source of coffee is grocery store coffee. I've ordered from some local roasteries but they don't have a specialty focus and the coffee is oily and black plus doesn't have roast dates but "best before dates" which seems to be 6-12 months past roast date. I'm in a remote area and getting things beyond local is possible but I was just looking for some options with the tools I got in front of me. If I see some illy I'll pick it up.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Andrew, I assume you're too remote to have Cometeer shipped out to you? Anyway, it's been a while since I visited k-cup land. The best k-cup I ever had was a Cerro Azul Geisha about 9 years ago, but that's long gone. Which ones did you already try?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Dragonfly is coming out with K-cups.

https://dragonflycoffeeroasters.com/
Scott
LMWDP #248

DamianWarS (original poster)

#6: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

I think I've had my last k-cup for a while, I've been drinking a lot of tea in its place. I've ended up finding a local roaster that I'm hopeful with and ordered half a kilo. I think even if it disappoints it will be better than a k-cup.

EDIT: I just placed the order. the roastery is 160 km away (100 mi) and it's going to take 10 days to ship it to me. this is on a shipping service that claims a 1 business day turnaround. It turns out my location is too remote. it's a good thing it's roast to order so the roast date won't be too old

Mbb

#7: Post by Mbb »

Well the Keurig is the absolute worst coffee you could possibly ever get, maybe even worse than a percolator.

That said I've made quite a bit in the past using the ez carafe cup with my own coffee. It holds enough coffee to make decent 16 oz cup. But you got to have a Keurig that is carafe capable to use that big one. The smaller size ones just don't hold enough coffee for a decent size cup

But any kind of user cup made with fresh coffee will be better than the old crap and Keurig cups