Special small burner for Moka pot - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
C-Antonio

#41: Post by C-Antonio »

jpender wrote:If the volume of water is key then the conical section is as important as the tube. Each has an internal volume that must be filled with water before the grounds see any of it. On my Moka Express 3-cup the conical section has roughly 50% more volume than the tube.

But aside from this your explanation makes sense, I suppose. It's not entirely obvious since the water en route to the coffee grounds is neither in direct thermal contact nor thermally isolated from the water in the tank. Different baskets could also have different coffee bed depths.

In any case, it's interesting that there's yet another moka pot variable that can be wiggled (assuming you have compatible baskets) to adjust the results.

I don't know, I just own these three: Moka Express 3-cup, Brikka 2-cup (same volume basket as 3-cup), and Acero 3-cup. Maybe I'm just unlucky.
I know the Brikka has sizes on its own, even the gaskets are a problem... I had one of the really old ones, back then they were pricey too but the coffee tasted better, heavier built too... they used to come with a separate cup to measure the water... couldnt find replacement gaskets after they switched to the new design... I left it to my sister who found out that an odd 4cups gasket would work so... my loss :( .
I dont really know the Acero, even googling it all the results are for spanish language steel (acero) mokas...
As general rule if you were to get universal parts for a 3 cup you see the diameters being 57/58mm listed, and most manufacturers dont list other measurements, many just measure in cups, go figure.

The beauty of the moka is that its so simple a device yet so complicated, yet again just simple... :D
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

jpender

#42: Post by jpender »

The version of 2c Brikka I have (2013) uses the same gasket as a 3c Moka Express. I weigh the water for maximum consistency. In my experience it is far easier to use than a standard moka pot. With the Brikka I have never gotten that over-extracted, over-heated coffee that is the bane of many who attempt to use a moka pot.

I think it is more forgiving because the vast majority of the brewing time is at a very low temperature, around 40°C. It has a much higher air:water ratio than a normal moka pot. And then there's that valve that arrests the water flow for a period of time.

C-Antonio wrote:The beauty of the moka is that its so simple a device yet so complicated, yet again just simple... :D
Indeed!

C-Antonio

#43: Post by C-Antonio »

jpender wrote:The version of 2c Brikka I have (2013)
Ha, the Brikka is a class apart, theres the moka and theres the brikka.
If you were ever to come across to the very old one (havier, full lid with middle handle, separate cup to measure the water) get it, some people sell them off because the top valve got stuck, a tap with a spoon gets them going but a good clean brings them back. If you like the new Brikka I can guarantee you would love the old version.

jpender

#44: Post by jpender »

C-Antonio wrote:If you were ever to come across to the very old one (havier, separate cup to measure the water) get it, some people sell them off because the top valve got stuck, a tap with a spoon gets them going but a good clean brings them back. If you like the new Brikka I can guarantee you would love the old version.
I've read that elsewhere. But I recently acquired a manual lever and I'm afraid there's no going back to the Brikka for me. It just doesn't make any sense. While the coffee from the Brikka is quite good the espresso the lever produces is superior. It doesn't take any longer to use and clean. And it doesn't require a special small burner stove.

I'm a little sad...

Ha! It's just a coffee pot.

C-Antonio

#45: Post by C-Antonio replying to jpender »

I am used to moka and espresso living rather well together. Maybe Im odd but switching back and forth makes each taste better, if it makes any sense...
(im afraid I really hijacked this thread, my apologies)

jpender

#46: Post by jpender »

My lever machine is only a couple of months old so it's still a toy to play with. It may well be that I eventually include the Brikka in the rotation of devices I use for variety. But for now I am of a single mind.

I'm not afraid of some thread drift, particularly since it's coffee related. I think it's normal. If it's too much a moderator will let us know.

But just to add to the topic, my small burner of choice is a $15 butane canister backpacking stove: