Siphonysta Automated Siphon Brewer (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

The Kickstarter is by Tiger, the Japanese appliance company, so I am confident that the product will actually ship. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ti ... ing-system

The looks aren't for me, but I can see the appeal.

Details of the device are also on Tiger's American website if you want to avoid Kickstarter:
https://tiger-corporation-us.com/siphonysta/
ETA: USA only, and zero backers so far at $550. The $400 tiers are sold out.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Could be handy in a busy cafe but for home use it pretty much kills any joy derived from making syphon brew.
LMWDP 267

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Saw this. It did get me curious. Reminds me of the [now discontinued] Bunn Trifecta MB a bit. Metal-filtered, I assume? To connect to the "Zen" thread, I think I'd rather use a siphon, especially at that price, but I'd happily borrow the Siphonysta for a week since I sold the Trifecta...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Yup, it's a metal filter.

Interesting comparison to the Trifecta. I can see this brewer appealing to a similar, and small, crowd. Electric single-cup brewers are seemingly a niche item.

That being said, at $400 I would have backed. $550 is close enough to the $650 suggested retail (and probable lower actual retail selling price) for it to be not worth the risks of going through Kickstarter.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

The Trifecta MB I understand (although I wouldn't want one), the Siphonysta not so much (I definitely would not want one). With the Bunn, once your coffee is brewed, it's a simple matter of knocking out your brew chamber, which though hot, has a nice handle. Then rinse and repeat for the next cup. With the Siphonysta, You've got a hot bit of plastic to remove from the machine, separate into three pieces, and no handles on any of it. The coffee path in the Bunn is straight into the mug, nothing else to clean, while the Siphonysta's coffee path is through the body of the machine, via a valve, which appears to be impossible to open up to clean. I predict this new gadget to be so niche oriented, and convoluted for questionable gain in the cup, that it will flop on the marketplace.

EvanOz85

#6: Post by EvanOz85 »

Ugly, expensive, no precision temp control, can only brew roughly 266ml, looks hard to clean.

Dumb.

appfrent

#7: Post by appfrent »

$550 Moka Pot?
Half of the fun of siphon coffee is ritual.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Pressino »

Are the lower and upper brew chambers made of glass or plastic?

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

The latter.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Pressino replying to baldheadracing »

Then I would prefer not to brew3 coffee in this device...my concern would be for potential exposure to toxins. I know folks may feel it's not a problem, and they're welcome to their opinions, but I'll just pass on this gadget. :(