SIMPLIFY the Brewer (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

I ran across this Kickstarter campaign called SIMPLIFY the Brewer, it's a flatbottom brewer that uses Kalita Wave 185 paper with a single giant hole at the bottom. Made/designed in Japan. The guy behind it seems interesting. There certainly seems to be a demand out there for fast flow and a large bottom hole which this brewer seems to be all about. He's not asking for a lot and it seems humble and genuinely a guy that had an idea and wants to bring it to market, what Kickstarter is for. I wouldn't expect anything game-changing from the brewer but I'm sure it can make decent coffee, and I like that simplified no-fuss idea.

jdrobison

#2: Post by jdrobison »

I backed this campaign last week. I've communicated a bit with him and he seems really cool. I hope he does well with it.

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

Not sure how this would be much different to using a Kalita filter in a V60 to be honest. Better plastic and less contact with it at least, so at the modest price it could be worth it anyway.

MSS

#4: Post by MSS »

Looks neat!!

DamianWarS (original poster)

#5: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:Not sure how this would be much different to using a Kalita filter in a V60 to be honest. Better plastic and less contact with it at least, so at the modest price it could be worth it anyway.
there seems to be some sort of demand or school of thought for more or bigger holes and faster drawdown like as if its the answer to all the pourover problems that I think a brewer like this was inevitable and I'm surprised it took so long. I've made a similar brewer out of plumbing parts myself but I've found that typically the amount or size of the holes are not the issue and what is the issue is the filter sealing itself to the flat surface area of the brewer which slows the drawdown. Putting a mesh in something like a Kalita seems to resolve this fine so I wonder how this Simplify brewer and a Kalita Wave with a mesh would compare. But I think the demand or at least the question is there for something like Simplify to exist. Reading over the Kickstarter page Ryo seems to be an advocate for a center pour which is a common Asian style and this is what this brewer is based on. No bloom, no complicated pour patterns, no pulses, just pour in the center of the brewer. I personally have hesitations about that approach but this doesn't disqualify the brewer for other styles.

Ad-85

#6: Post by Ad-85 »

Thanks for mentioning this. I just backed him and I wish him success. The idea of a single pour is very appealing to me. Speedy coffee, brew fast, 1 minute brewer.. I like brew fast more than simplify the brewer
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

The brew time seems too short to brew a good cup of coffee. I'll be interested to hear some unbiased opinions on this brewer once the brewer is available.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

It can be done, look at Tetsu Kasuya's fast method. But it needs more beans, so it's a bit wasteful. In Japan, short ratios like 1:10 is not uncommon.

Auctor

#9: Post by Auctor »

yakster wrote:The brew time seems too short to brew a good cup of coffee. I'll be interested to hear some unbiased opinions on this brewer once the brewer is available.
Couldn't you offset the short brew time with a finer grind?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

Jonk wrote:It can be done, look at Tetsu Kasuya's fast method. But it needs more beans, so it's a bit wasteful. In Japan, short ratios like 1:10 is not uncommon.
That was my initial thought, but when I checked the Kickstarter website, the recipe was close to my normal 1:15 ratio.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272