Simpli press coffee - French Press (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CathyWeeks

#1: Post by CathyWeeks »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/si ... escription

I did go ahead and back it, and it's funded. (No, I'm not involved, except as a backer).

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

Looks like it's just basically a glass Espro Press unless I'm missing something.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

A glass Espro already exists! Link: http://espro.ca/espro-press-p5/

This one's a little different in that after you press and decant, if all goes well you can lift the filter assembly + grounds container out of the press *along with the coffee grounds* for somewhat easier clean-up. With the Espro, when you remove the filter assembly all of the coffee grounds are left at the bottom of the carafe.

I didn't back. At $39 I would have, but I wasn't fast enough. God knows I don't need another metal-filtered brewing device...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Shife

#4: Post by Shife »

The super early bird sold out in a few minutes. I didn't get a chance to log on until 10min after it went live and they were all gone. At that price I would have considered it, but I'll just wait and see now once it's in the wild.

CathyWeeks (original poster)

#5: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

jbviau wrote:A glass Espro already exists! Link: http://espro.ca/espro-press-p5/

This one's a little different in that after you press and decant, if all goes well you can lift the filter assembly + grounds container out of the press *along with the coffee grounds* for somewhat easier clean-up. With the Espro, when you remove the filter assembly all of the coffee grounds are left at the bottom of the carafe.

I didn't back. At $39 I would have, but I wasn't fast enough. God knows I don't need another metal-filtered brewing device...
I was lucky enough to get the super-early bird. :-)

(Edited to add: And I admit to wondering if I should get the Simpli or one of the double-walled all-metal presses I've looked at on Amazon. But, I enjoy backing Kickstarters)

I don't already own either a French Press, or any other immersion brewer than has the capacity that the Simply does. So for me, it fills a niche that I didn't already have - the ability to make a bigger amount of coffee for when I have guests. I do have a 6-cup Chemex, but I've never been happy with making a full pot with it - haven't ironed down the amounts/grind/flowrate.

Further differences: It's much bigger than the Espro - The Simpli is considerably bigger (approximately 34 ounce capacity, rather than 18), And, the filter assembly is all metal, while the Espro includes some plastic.

But you guys are correct it that it is quite similar.

SAB

#6: Post by SAB »

Cool design! The addition of a grounds bin that exits when you withdraw the press is brilliant in innovation, if it's execution is effective.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#7: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Right, I wonder about effectiveness. In the Kickstarter video, you can see a little of the ground coffee getting stuck to the glass wall of the carafe during withdrawal.

Cathy, there's a 32-oz. Espro as well. I have one. Anyway, congrats on the [future] deal you got!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

#8: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

jbviau wrote:Cathy, there's a 32-oz. Espro as well. I have one. Anyway, congrats on the [future] deal you got!
LOL. It seems I spoke too soon. I looked at your link, and jumped to conclusions without doing my homework. My bad.

I am excited. It'll be fun to try out.

vit

#9: Post by vit »

I think that for fraction of that price one can find or make a suitable metal container to put it into ordinary french press, so that most of the coffee remain in it :D

#10: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) replying to vit »

Well that may be true, if you already own a French press, but I do not. But, I got the super-early-bird price, so that makes a difference as well. I had stumbled across the project before they went live, and got on their email list, so I was alerted the night before when it was going live, and I set a reminder on my phone to alert me about 5 minutes before it went live. So, that made it easy for me to nab the better price.