Sieve to clean french press

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
slipchuck

#1: Post by slipchuck »

I just tried out my Espro p3 and like it a lot but it's a pain to clean.
Can anyone recommend a sieve that is fine enough to clean the old coffee?
Has to be inexpensive and preferably from a Canadian site.
Looked on amazon but they don't state how fine they are

Thanks!

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

I just made one out of a 1 quart plastic yogurt container. Poked a bunch of holes in the bottom and I sit in in the sink for a few minutes to drain. First time it leaks a few grounds. After that the coffee itself acts as a filter. In between uses I put the lid on and nest it in another identical container bottom so it doesn't drip. It's easy to dump the contents into the compost once it fills. Easy to replace if it clogs or gets grungy. But it's still kind of annoying when compared to cleanup after other brew methods.

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

jpender wrote:...But it's still kind of annoying when compared to cleanup after other brew methods.
3 oz of fresh water, swish, swish, and into the garden goes the water and the spent grounds. In the office? Into the trash.
-----
LMWDP #339

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I just pulled the trigger on an Orphan Espresso Coda to sieve the grounds out of my Impress brew mug at work. I'll let you know what I think of it once I get it.

I also picked up a 43.5 mm dosing funnel so I can grind right into a plastic salad dressing cup and bring in ground coffee to work. I'd been using my Lido 2 at work, but it's a bit of a pain to have to get the grinder out and go to the kitchen and prep the coffee, I want a more convenient solution. The salad dressing cups I use fit 18 grams very tightly and work very well for bringing in ground coffee. My 45 mm dosing funnel doesn't quite fit in the cup so this'll work better.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

Boldjava wrote:3 oz of fresh water, swish, swish, and into the garden goes the water and the spent grounds. In the office? Into the trash.
If I could freely toss them into the yard, the trash, or down the drain it would be easy.

Interesting to see a sieve specifically marketed for this purpose.

Jofari

#6: Post by Jofari »

I just use a mini strainer I found at the supermarket. I add some water to the french press, swish it around and dump it into the strainer. Water drains out and spent grounds stay in. It's looks like this: Strainer on Amazon, but mine is cheaper. Been using it for many years now.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I received the Orphan Espresso CODA In Sink Coffee Grounds Recycling Filter™ and have been trying it out at home. It's a lot larger than I thought it would be, and for filtering out the 18 grams of coffee I use to brew in my Impress / Presse brew mug it's overkill. It also lets smaller particles of coffee through and doesn't drain all that quickly, so I figured it wouldn't be a good fit for a quick run to the sink at work. It will probably work well for larger batches, like from my siphon at home.

I continued to brew coffee in one brew mug in the morning, then brew my afternoon mug in another brew mug at work, bringing them both home for cleanup. It worked, but it's a bit annoying so I dug out my old Aeropress gear and managed to piece together a kit with one Aeropress (and an old sticky rubber plunger piece that I'll want to replace) with my old 008 Coava metal Aeorpress coffee filter and tried it out today. It's much smaller and pretty easy to rinse the brew mug and dump it in at work, then plunge out the water in a cup or the sink and then pull the filter to the side (wiping it in the process) and plunge the grounds out making it possible to use just a single brew mug at work now. I think I'll be sticking with this method for now.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Simon345

#8: Post by Simon345 »

slipchuck wrote:I just tried out my Espro p3 and like it a lot but it's a pain to clean.
Can anyone recommend a sieve that is fine enough to clean the old coffee?
Has to be inexpensive and preferably from a Canadian site.
Looked on amazon but they don't state how fine they are

Thanks!

Randy
I am a french press drinker but am embarrassed to not understand the problem you are trying to solve. Can you please explain the cleaning difficulty ?

slipchuck (original poster)

#9: Post by slipchuck (original poster) replying to Simon345 »

The grinds don't seem to want to leave the French press easily. I an on septic and would not be a good idea to let the grinds plug things up.
I did buy a sieve and seems to work fine

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

yakster wrote:...I dug out my old Aeropress gear and...
I see a possible product here. Do you see it?

An Aeropress / French press hybrid. Two ways to brew and the super easy cleanup of an Aeropress.