Shower Head Insert For Technivorm Moccamaster

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
iploya
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by iploya »

I wanted to share this with other Moccamaster owners. This should be an included part with any Moccamaster machine.

It is a third party water distribution ring that sits on top of the filter basket. Instead of that straight-bar drilling a lopsided trench in your grounds basket, this little add-on provides a gentle, even distribution of water. You really don't even need to stir once you add this, if you don't want to.

Simple in concept, but well executed. I imagine it took some trial and error to get the right pattern of holes. It has a very shallow depth of maybe 1-2 mm to catch and retain just enough dripping water to distribute evenly to all the holes. The through holes are perfectly sized and spaced so the water fills that shallow depth during the brew cycle without overflowing. (Even if it did overflow, there is an annular gap for it to spill over into, but it hasn't happened with mine).

https://coffeepilot.ca/products/shower- ... occamaster

Richard

#2: Post by Richard »

That looks to my eye like a $40 gadget to screw up the temperature of the slurry.
-- Richard

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

iploya wrote:You really don't even need to stir once you add this, if you don't want to.
Stir? Why would you stir?
My Moccamaster Technivorm does a perfect job with no intervention from me except to open the valve at the bottom of the cone after an 8 minute immersion.

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by iploya (original poster) » replying to SJM »

Please enlighten me. Is your entire liquid volume contained in the filter basket for 8 minutes, and then you drain it, and that's your full brew cycle?

My only valve is an automatic drip-stop (model KBGT) when you pull away the carafe. But then, the water stops flowing.

TigerStripes

#5: Post by TigerStripes »

I had one of those but the brew basket wasn't perfectly flat, so the water all diverted to one side. Ended up selling the moccamaster since it never made a cup as good as my kalita.

The default shower head on the moccamaster is a terrible design if you're using fresh coffee that will bloom significantly.

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Fits perfectly on my filter basket.

Agreed, the stock shower head is befuddling to me. The Moccamaster is a beautiful machine, with nice materials and a solid build quality. But why, after all these years, are they still using a straight stick hanging over a big, round basket? The insert makes total sense to me for that reason as an included part.

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Shawnaks5 »

OP, do you think this part lessens agitation? I don't have a Moccamaster, but that would be one of my concerns along with temperature, but if you are using more developed coffee, temperature may not be an issue as much.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
rmongiovi

#8: Post by rmongiovi »

I was always concerned about the arm being metal, which is basically a heat sink, versus plastic. But I suppose that may be part of the plan to reduce the temperature from boiling to the correct range for brew. I never considered any TV other than a model with a manual shutoff valve because I wanted the ability to fill the basket up a bit with water, stir, and only then allow it to start draining normally. The automatic "carafe present/absent" shutoff seemed like giving up part of what made the design good.

So along those same lines my issue with this shower head insert is that it's made of metal. If the TV really is designed to deliver water at the correct brew temperature then draining that water through an additional thin metal plate has to affect the temperature. I guess it would be difficult to tell by how much since the insert seems to occlude the entire basket. Or do those slots around the edge go all the way through and allow you to insert a probe?

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

iploya wrote:Please enlighten me. Is your entire liquid volume contained in the filter basket for 8 minutes, and then you drain it, and that's your full brew cycle?
Exactly. There is a switch on the side of the cone which has three settings: open, closed and half of each. I leave it closed for 8 minutes, then open it. I am only brewing half a carafe at a time; when I brew a full carafe I usually set the switch to half so it slows but doesn't stop the flow. I'm not really sure if it would overflow, but I prefer not to clean up the mess. And, just so you know, my daily brew is 40 gm of beans/20 oz water.....most happily Happy Camper or Mainline
from Northbound Roasters.

Richard

#10: Post by Richard »

iploya wrote:. . . why, after all these years, are they still using a straight stick hanging over a big, round basket?
If you think in terms of a round, flat-bottom basket, yes. But this is a wedge-shaped basket, not flat, and the basket flow design is such that the paradigm of the Technivorm brewers is a hybridization of immersion and a continual flow throught the bed (however we want to describe that). As such, the "spray pattern" isn't ultimately very important.
-- Richard