Shower Head Insert For Technivorm Moccamaster - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Richard wrote:If you think in terms of a round, flat-bottom basket, yes. But this is a wedge-shaped basket, not flat, and the basket flow design is such that the paradigm of the Technivorm brewers is a hybridization of immersion and a continual flow throught the bed (however we want to describe that). As such, the "spray pattern" isn't ultimately very important.
If the water is predominantly flowing through only a portion of the coffee grounds then there is no way the whole of the coffee bed is being evenly extracted or contributing significantly to extraction, no matter the design of the basket. Given the choice between uniformly distributing water onto the coffee bed, or plopping it in a lopsided manner onto just a portion of it, there is no design rationale for the latter. Especially at a cost-is-no-object price point.

You could avoid stirring, accept uneven extraction, and adjust other parameters to optimize given those assumptions. But why would you. I haven't tried other Moccamasters but this is how mine performed as new so I presume it is typical of this model.

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

I bought one and am excited to give it a go. I'm optimistic that it'll improve the extraction.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC »

Mine came about 5 days ago. I've been using it the last 3 nights here at work. Too early to say much. The bed after the brew is only slightly different in appearance, but I'd believe that the distribution is better. Cups have been good/improved but I also rotated in a new Ode with their prototype burrs and gave away my Baratza Virtuoso, so there's two different deltas to the experiment.

It looks well built. Seems to do it's job. But it also adds one more step to the process. Since I stir the bloom briefly during the beginning stage, I have to have it out of the way, then place it back on.

One little thing I noticed that is somewhat helpful. In the case of a not-so-perfectly level tabletop or desk, etc, you can look at the spreading pool of water and rotate the whole thing and actually get even better distribution along with tweaking the basket a tiny bit too.

Only negative so far is user error. With all the prep and fiddling you're adding one more thing to move and it adds time and if you're fiddling with the bloom, I've already forgotten once to open the drain valve and had an overflow, but that's my fault.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/