Share your origami dripper recipe!

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Sugssugi

#1: Post by Sugssugi »

I recently bought origami dripper s in white and it is so beautiful. I bought the 155 wave filters along with it. Been brewing with it since last week and wanted to share my experience and maybe learn a thing or two with others who love the origami dripper as well :D

I love how the drawdown is faster than my hario v60. This allows me to grind finer which I love and it never clogs. I can also switch to my regular v60 filter if I wanted to for similar result even though the drawdown is also slightly faster.

So this is how I brew with my origami. Using 15g to 230ml water with temp 195deg/f. 16 clicks on c40 which is quite fine for pourover. I do three pours. 50g bloom for 40s then 80g and 100g for final pour. Brew was completed at 2:20. I was brewing ethiopian guji uraga natural and it turned out perfect for me. It got me excited because the taste was out of this world. It was really sweet and floral. It was so good that it made me want to post about this :lol:

Please do share your opinions and recipe if you wish. I can try them out :mrgreen:

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

My recipe at the moment is similar, 15g to 250g, water just off boil. Bloom with 50g, two 100g pours, swirl after all pours.

I currently prefer the Sibarist filters, or in alternative the Kalita 185.

What I have found important is to preheat the cone well. YMMV.
Osku

Sugssugi (original poster)

#3: Post by Sugssugi (original poster) replying to ojt »

Those are nice filters but so expensive in my area so I never get to try it.

How do you preheat? I preheat mine by rinsing my filter together. Then I grind my beans and immediately start pouring. The time between preheat and pouring is slightly under two minutes. I wonder if the origami will still hold the heat well? :?

ojt

#4: Post by ojt »

In my experience I'm better off preheating a lot. I place the cone on top of a small kettle of boiling water, on the stove, while I prep other stuff. I then rinse the filter in the cone with that boiling water. My brew water is heated elsewhere.
Osku

Yan

#5: Post by Yan »

ojt wrote:My recipe at the moment is similar, 15g to 250g, water just off boil. Bloom with 50g, two 100g pours, swirl after all pours.

I currently prefer the Sibarist filters, or in alternative the Kalita 185.

What I have found important is to preheat the cone well. YMMV.
Any significant improvement / different cup profile using sibarist, let's say vs the Hario box version or the original Wave filter?
Thanks

Sugssugi (original poster)

#6: Post by Sugssugi (original poster) replying to Yan »

I have friends that use them. They said the drawdown is very fast. It is mainly because they are more porous than other filters. They told me that some extra fine grinds actually made it into their cup. They have to adjust their grind size to a little bit finer as well just because of the fast drawdown. Hope it helps.

ojt

#7: Post by ojt »

Yan wrote:Any significant improvement / different cup profile using sibarist, let's say vs the Hario box version or the original Wave filter?
Thanks
Yes, with the light and light-medium roasts I prefer I get more flavor clarity and more sweetness, compared to Kalita and original Hario boxed size 2 filters. Not sure and why but it feels like a cleaner cup too, contrary to what people seem to be saying. I do adjust grind down a few numbers on my Kinu, aiming for a 2 minute (+/- 5 sec) brew for a 15g to 250g. The filter is fast flowing but not dramatically so. Next I'll get the Cafec Light Roast papers and see how they compare.
Osku

Yan

#8: Post by Yan »

Sugssugi wrote:I have friends that use them. They said the drawdown is very fast. It is mainly because they are more porous than other filters. They told me that some extra fine grinds actually made it into their cup. They have to adjust their grind size to a little bit finer as well just because of the fast drawdown. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the info, it's a bit pricey :) but curiously to try someday in the future...
ojt wrote:Yes, with the light and light-medium roasts I prefer I get more flavor clarity and more sweetness, compared to Kalita and original Hario boxed size 2 filters. Not sure and why but it feels like a cleaner cup too, contrary to what people seem to be saying. I do adjust grind down a few numbers on my Kinu, aiming for a 2 minute (+/- 5 sec) brew for a 15g to 250g. The filter is fast flowing but not dramatically so. Next I'll get the Cafec Light Roast papers and see how they compare.
Interesting it's fast but it gets more Sweetness and clarity, I already changed from hario box version to Cafec Light Roast and I much preferred the Cafec for that reason, I also using the Cafec medium roast filter faster draw down than the light roast filter but not too happy with the cup profile, but I only use the medium for 2 bags different Indonesian SO maybe it will works for other SO.
Thanks for the info.

mrs.bean

#9: Post by mrs.bean »

Hi ! Got the origami for Christmas and love it. I'm using Commandante grinder and light roasted beans. Let me ask something : How many clicks on Commandante for using Sibarist filter? ... waiting for delivery.
Did someone tried the osmotic flow technique recommended by Cafec filter company and "the Coffee Chronicler" ?
My recipe for origami is a bit different from yours (@Sugssugi ) . Using Kalita filter/ 25 clicks/ 340 water at 205 F and 20 grams coffee. Which is a brew ratio 1:17 .
0:00 - 0:10 sec 60 grams for 45 sec. Bloom
0:35 - 1:10 min. 160 grams
1:15 - 1:45 min 120 grams ( one slight spin at the end )
about 2:45 min done
Like the Kalita filter better than V60's ( using Cafec abaca and Hario Japanese style ) . Looking for the better taste not watching my brew time ;) :) , my palate buds say those Kalitafilter open the aroma up.

ojt

#10: Post by ojt »

mrs.bean wrote:How many clicks on Commandante for using Sibarist filter?
If compared to the Kalita filters (which I also use) I would go a few clicks finer. Not too much. My experience so far is I have to accept the faster draw down and it will still be good. Some others have used them so that they increase number of pours, so for example doing the 4-6 method or so, and keeping the grind settings about the same. The idea is that you're allowed to increase the number of pours while keeping the total draw down the same.

Just try them, they aren't that dramatically faster, IMHO.

I'm looking forward to trying the Cafec Light Roast papers next, perhaps even head to head with Sibarist.

As for the "osmotic flow" (aka. Japanese pour over method), I need a new kettle for that and am in the process of selecting one.
Osku