Selecting a pour over

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Case17

#1: Post by Case17 »

I have read up already, but want to check out the opinions on this forum.

I have a V60, size 03. I use it frequently. It is perfect for weekends when i make coffee for both my wife and I. I typically brew 60-80g of coffee on these occasions.

However, The size is not right for single servings. I'd like to get something that is good for 25-40g coffee. At this size, my v60 03 brews fast and the coffee usually lacks body and detail.

We also have an aero press... i use this sometimes but typically find it inferior to the v60, especially larger brews.

Therefore, I am trying to select a small/medium pourover. I could always get the Hario v60 02... but figured i might try something new. I am eyeballing the Kalita wave, 185 size. From what i read, this is easier to use than the v60 because the flow is more restricted. This could be a better match for weekdays, when i am in a rush... but i have also heard the v60 is best for dry process coffees, which i roast a lot.

What do you think? Any other pour overs you recommend?

Of course, these things aren't too expensive and I can always get them all... but i like to research and not waste my time/money.

jevenator

#2: Post by jevenator »

Maybe look into an origami dripper? Not to sure on sizes as I have a M and the biggest I've done is 25g but I feel like I could do more than that on a v60 but not so much on a kalita 185 filter.

But you get the benifit of a zero bottom filter and the choice of two main filter types.

Edit: I read it wrong the first time. The medium size should be good for you since you got a 03 size.
LMWDP #643

jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

Smallest Hario (01) is also a good option

Howard W

#4: Post by Howard W »

https://www.aprilcoffeeroasters.com/pag ... -pour-over

An alternative to Kalita Wave, used in World Brewers Cup 2019.

Yan

#5: Post by Yan »

How about December Drip, it's like kalita wave with more flow control...

Btw if you like Kalita Wave maybe this link can help you to choose their medium type or variant...

https://coffeechronicler.com/kalita-wav ... nt-review/

MikeTheBlueCow

#6: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

For 25-40g the V60-02 would work well (this amount is definitely too large for the 01 size), and I think the Wave 185 as well. The Origami is about the right size for that too, and fits both filter styles, but then again so does the V60. I personally find using a Wave filter in a V60 or Origami much less prone to drainage issues, and maybe even better than in the Wave itself. I also always found my Wave to drain about as efficiently as the V60, and that what makes it easier to use is really just the flat bottom of the filter itself.

I have heard both sides of the argument... that brewing a smaller amount in a larger V60 "should be fine" or that it results in too much agitation. I suppose this is up to brew technique. But if you could share more about what you've adjusted for smaller brews, maybe we can even find a way you don't need to buy anything extra (other than maybe some Wave filters, which will fit fine in your 03 V60 and give you that flat-bottom experience with no drainage issues). If you've tried a finer grind in order to slow down the flow, then what did you find with that? I really wouldn't expect 40g in the 03 to be an issue, but maybe if you go too low you will have issues with high agitation from the pour height. If you pour more towards the edge, this should cut down on agitation and help slow the brew down. Maybe a MeloDrip is another option to help you adjust the "pour height" and reduce agitation. Or you could try adding an extra pour or two to help extend the time, to mitigate it draining too fast.

Case17

#7: Post by Case17 »

Yan wrote:How about December Drip, it's like kalita wave with more flow control...

Btw if you like Kalita Wave maybe this link can help you to choose their medium type or variant...

https://coffeechronicler.com/kalita-wav ... nt-review/
Thanks for alerting to the December Dripper. I had not heard of it and the flexibility it gives is intriguing. Are people using it successfully?

Case17

#8: Post by Case17 »

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:For 25-40g the V60-02 would work well (this amount is definitely too large for the 01 size), and I think the Wave 185 as well. The Origami is about the right size for that too, and fits both filter styles, but then again so does the V60. I personally find using a Wave filter in a V60 or Origami much less prone to drainage issues, and maybe even better than in the Wave itself. I also always found my Wave to drain about as efficiently as the V60, and that what makes it easier to use is really just the flat bottom of the filter itself.

I have heard both sides of the argument... that brewing a smaller amount in a larger V60 "should be fine" or that it results in too much agitation. I suppose this is up to brew technique. But if you could share more about what you've adjusted for smaller brews, maybe we can even find a way you don't need to buy anything extra (other than maybe some Wave filters, which will fit fine in your 03 V60 and give you that flat-bottom experience with no drainage issues). If you've tried a finer grind in order to slow down the flow, then what did you find with that? I really wouldn't expect 40g in the 03 to be an issue, but maybe if you go too low you will have issues with high agitation from the pour height. If you pour more towards the edge, this should cut down on agitation and help slow the brew down. Maybe a MeloDrip is another option to help you adjust the "pour height" and reduce agitation. Or you could try adding an extra pour or two to help extend the time, to mitigate it draining too fast.
I don't typically time my pourovers, blasphemy, I know. I find it hard to give it that much focus when i have a busy day job and usually am rushing to work. So, take my details with a gRain of salt but here is what i have noticed:

Brewing 1000+ mL of water 70+ grams, typically grinder setting 18-22 on a virtuoso baratza, brewing at 201 C, coffees tend to be fuller, more flavorful, more body. For my smaller brews (half volume, same water coffee ratio, same temperature, same general procedure), the coffees are thinner. You might think dry processed cofffees would accent their fruit/florals under these conditions, but i generally fin the coffee worse. My guess is that the smaller coffee bed provides less resistance to flow than a larger bed, even though the water coffee ratio is constant, and that this is the cause. In other words, some amount of under extraction. Another possible factor is that the pourover cone is relatively larger when brewing smaller batches, and as a result the drainage hole is too big and also the material absorbs too much heat. Again, causing under extraction.

I have tried going down to 16 or so on the grinder setting, to slow down the brew. I don't recall it being a solution, bit perhaps i should try again. I fear that although it slows down the brew time, the smaller particles will extract too fast, and too many fines that will way over extract (and cause uneven extraction overall). I certainly have dried grind size 18 and had the isssues described above.

As I type this, I'm realizing i need to experiment more... higher temperature and maybe finer grind. I should probably get a pourover scale with a timer.

All that said, these thoughts led me to question whether the hario v60 03 is well designed for smaller brews... which presumably it is not since there are different sizes available for a reason. But, i see people here using the 03 for small brews, claiming it works well.

The agitation idea is interesting and i have been worrying about that.
The melodrip idea is interesting, i was not aware that that thing existed. It's pretty expensive for what it is, but that's true of all this pourover stuff.

User avatar
yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Case17 wrote:Thanks for alerting to the December Dripper. I had not heard of it and the flexibility it gives is intriguing. Are people using it successfully?
Pour over brewer with cutoff value
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Yan

#10: Post by Yan »

For 40gr you can try use 02 paper in 03 dripper, you better using the tab filter paper edition (100 pieces) it is slower than the box 40 pieces edition, divide the total brew water by 4 pulse pouring, grind a bit finer and try higher temp than your normal 1L brew, for grindsize and temperature maybe you can use the 1L result as the baseline, mouthfeel and taste, I also brew 12-15gr/30-40gr sometimes 60gr/L depends how many my brother/sisters joined the coffee session... :D