Sandy feel when using French Press

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Heemskerk

#1: Post by Heemskerk »

Hello,

I used to use my Nespresso everyday, but got a free French Press with an order at a website.

The French press is pretty much what you expect from a free one, but it is working. I do not have a grinder yet, so I'm using pre-grinded coffee. It is Lavazza Red and the can t comes is says it can also be used for a french press.

Although the taste is good, I get a sort of sandy feeling in my mouth when I drink the coffee. Not that it feels like a complete mouthful of sand and I do not have to chew on it, but a bit of grainy feeling if you know what I mean. If the coffee was a photo you would say the ISO was set to high.

Is this normal with a French Press, or is the filter of the press not good or the grinding to thin.

Dayglow

#2: Post by Dayglow »

As long as you're not talking actual grinds in the cup It is not uncommon to get some fine particulate coffee stuff from a french press, most folks refer to it as a "muddy" feel. To counter this I usually just let the press sit a couple minutes after pressing before pouring. You can also alter your brew technique to help let them settle out as well.
I have a 3 minute brew process where I:
Add measured grounds to press pot
Add a little cool water to wet the grounds while I heat the water
Slowly add water at desired temperature and fill
Let sit 30 seconds
Stir for 1 minute
Let sit remainder of 3 minutes to settle a bit
Plunge
Let rest in press for as long as you care and then pour into your cup. My french press is double walled stainless so I can get by letting it sit for a little bit before pouring and let some more settle out.
If you ever have any good volume left in the press after your done drinking, don't chuck it. Just let it sit for a few hours and then pour the liquid off. You'll see just how much sediment makes it past the filter.

Heemskerk (original poster)

#3: Post by Heemskerk (original poster) »

Thanks. Muddy is a better term indeed.

I will try this. And also going for a grinder to get a different grind instead of the 'powder' you buy in the shops.