Same bean, two brews -- Mixing result into one cup?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

I was brewing this AM a light roasted Kilenso from Coava, tasting notes lavender, cantaloupe, cream. I was expirementing with Clever dripper vs Kalita wave.

I noticed in the particular brews I made that my result from Clever (likely not a result just of the method but the technique) produced a cup that was cream forward - very smooth and sweet, just a hint of cantaloupe. Meanwhile, my brew result from the Kalita was equally good but cantaloupe forward with a stronger earthiness undertone and just a hint of cream at the finish.

The cups had already cooled quite a bit when I went back and forth, but as I was getting overly buzzed, I mixed the remainders into the same cup to try. It wasn't warm enough to get an obvious read, but the resulting mixed cup seemed well balanced. I'd have to try again and mix from hot.

But it got me wondering... is this a thing? Has anyone else experimented or heard of experiments like this? Same bean, two properly dialed in but distinct brew methods, and then mixing the result into a single cup? I suppose such a thing could either just undo the unique balance each cup has, or potentially create an even more complex cup? Thoughts?

Henry_k

#2: Post by Henry_k »

Red Eye coffee is an old thing, but it was not mixed for a taste. ;-)

And coffee extraction is not linear - even in single drip or espresso, you have mixed different fractions from the beginning and from the end of process. So you just add a next level to what already happened in single extraction.

dsc106 (original poster)

#3: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Reviving this :)

To be clear I am referring to filter brew coffee, and mixing two brews together that were intentionally brewed differently to maximize certain flavors. Ie a longer immersion brew and a coarser v60. In order to create a more robustly flavored and balanced cup, perhaps not possible with a single brew.

Any thoughts?