Recommended Moka Pot size & material? - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jpender

#31: Post by jpender »

Espressofilo wrote:I think trying to figure the TDS of a Moka or an espresso from their overall refraction index (even worse, measuring the filtered product) is like trying to understand the composition of a minestrone by analysing its overall weight or its overall calories. Doesn't make much sense to me.
This started out with my asking you for a reference about your contention that there are substances in coffee that bind to caffeine and affect absorption in the gut. Now we are talking about refractometers and TDS and what that means. These are worthwhile topics but I wonder if it would make more sense for you to do some reading about them first. I'm not a very good educator.

And none of this has anything to do with the original question about moka pots.

I got out my Bialetti Brikka this morning, probably the first time in about a year. Made a really good cup with it. It is well suited to the Italian coffee I'm using right now. Brewing with it made me a little nostalgic. I used to use it every day. While cleaning up I was thinking of what @buckersss posted. The inside of the base my Brikka (it is aluminum) looks kind of nasty despite my caring for it. It's just cosmetic damage but it's not too nice to see. The upper portion also shows some signs of the same corrosion. The pot also has a silicone gasket, a big improvement over the original rubber one, but it's used enough to be stained and a little tacky to the touch. Nothing is perfect I guess.

Espressofilo

#32: Post by Espressofilo »

Another difference comes to mind regarding Moka pot materials: an aluminium pot has the upper chamber which can be produced in one single piece, and this makes the pot easier to clean. A stainless steel pot typically has the upper part which is not in one piece, but two pieces, and there is a groove between the two, which is more difficult to clean. On the other hand, a SS pot can be put in the dishwasher.

Final consideration: if one is very methodic and regular in cleaning the Moka pot immediately after use and let it dry properly, aluminium is probably better. If one is lazy and lets the pot sit on the table for hours, or the entire night, then stainless steel is probably better. Aluminium ends up building oxidation if left wet for hours every day.