Ratio Four brewer (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

More coffee stuff that I don't really need :P.

ETA: I backed, but ended up cancelling as t he Ratio Four doesn't work with a smart plug.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... fee-maker/

USA shipping only. 120 volt only for the Kickstarter.

"Crazy" early bird at $114 sold out (50 backed)
"Early bird" at $125, sold out (250 backed)

"Promoter" at $155, many available (1000 max)
etc.
... The first affordable and beautiful "half batch" pour over coffee machine.

... The Ratio Four is our smallest brewer yet, an agile, sleek machine that puts out between 5 and 20 ounces of coffee per batch, enough for one to two reasonably sized cups, or one big travel mug.

The Four uses the exact same technology powering its predecessors, allowing the release of CO2 via a bloom cycle, distributing water across the grounds at precise temperatures via a wide showerhead. ...

Just like the Six and the Eight, the whole thing happens with the push of a single button.
The only difference: the Four is compact.
  • The removable water tank can be positioned on the left, the right or behind.
  • Whatever amount of water you add - from 5 to 20 ounces - will be brewed at the perfect temperature, with a bloom cycle.
  • The Four is small enough to fit on any countertop, under just about any cabinet. Just 11.5" tall and 7.5" wide.
  • And, of course, every Ratio coffee maker is built to last, backed by a five-year warranty.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

AnotherADDiction

#2: Post by AnotherADDiction »

Thanks, don't really need it either but I pledged. I'm thinking it will work on my desk well. I wish that it let you adjust the temp.

JamesO

#3: Post by JamesO »

Dang. Not available until July 2024. I was actually coming to ask for recommendations for my wife, and this looks perfect. She's looking for 16-20 oz of good filter coffee in the morning with as little effort as possible (our hands are full getting our two girls out the door).

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to JamesO »

The Bonavita 5-cup (5 x 5oz cups, so 25oz capacity) works just fine for 16oz-20oz. (I have one.)

https://bonavita.co/collections/brewers ... fee-brewer

AnotherADDiction

#5: Post by AnotherADDiction »

I thought that it was shipping in January, I guess that's what I get for backing it really late one night.
I'll just have to try to relax, and while I do, this is my consistent, no bother meathod of brewing. During the week, I have no time (or desire) to monkey around with anything so I:

1 - grind 80g (enough for the next days cups) the night before and store it in a small Ball jar.

2- heat water in a Pyrex measuring cup for 3 minutes in microwave.

3- Weigh out coffee into my Hario Mugsn, Abaca paper (rinsed night before)

3- One quick pour, no bloom, no fuss

4- Enjoy my consistent, very good cup

I can play with the ratios and temp easily. I have tried many dfippers/methods and this is by far the easiest and usually tastes within 95% of what I can get doing intricate faf with various drippers. I also cannot decerne any difference in taste by grinding at time of brew.

Give it a try, the Mugen is only $14.00. You can't go wrong. I am usually using SO Ethiopian beans, with a zp6, and Pur filtered water in a 1:15
ratio.

JamesO

#6: Post by JamesO »

AnotherADDiction wrote:Give it a try...
You guys are awesome. I'll definitely give it a try!

Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

So, I decided to drop my backing of this brewer, even though I think that it will be an awesome brewer - so there will be a $125 Early Bird spot opening up soon after I post this. (The Kickstarter closes December 15.)

I do like the whole idea of a SCA-certification-level brewing machine optimized for brewing 5oz-20oz of coffee, and IMO Ratio makes the best brewers on the market. Full-sized brewers just cannot do a great job of brewing smaller quantites because the size of the filter baskets that they use do not give sufficient bed depth with smaller quantities of coffee grounds, and the diameter of their basket exit holes allows for too high a flow rate. I realize that there are tricks like closing the brew valve on a Moccamaster, but if I have to do stuff to the brewing machine before and/or during brewing, then I might as well do a manual brew. To me, the whole point of a brewing machine is that I don't have to do anything other than load it with coffee and water ... which leads to the only reason that I'm dropping my backing: The Ratio 4 doesn't have a timer.

While there is not a timer, the Ratio 4 also can't be left "on" and then be controlled with a smart receptacle - I asked. Then I remembered that Switchbots were on the market and I thought that I could use one of those to press the "on" button. Again, no, Ratio told me that the "on" button of the Ratio 4 is a capacitive touch switch. There is a hack using Aluminium foil and the battery on the Switchbot to trigger capacitive switches, but that's not guaranteed to work. However, when I was looking into Switchbots, I saw a picture of a Switchbot triggering a Bonavita - which also can't be controlled by a smart receptacle, as the Bonavita turns on with a momentary-contact rocker switch. Eureka! I have a 5-cup (25oz) SCA-certified Bonavita, which, years ago, was delegated to the box of disgarded coffee devices precisely because it didn't have a timer and couldn't be controlled by a smart receptacle. Switchbot quickly ordered and installed and working. A bit of testing with various drippers and filter papers and carafes and some silicone sealant on the shower head, and now I have a brewer that can reliably brew anywhere from 5oz-34oz, with TDS and extraction yields equal to manual pourover. I also couldn't taste a difference between manual and machine when restricted to the machine's brew parameters.

Now I can wake up to the smell of coffee - which is a great way to wake up - and have coffee in bed, just as if I had a Barisieur 8).

(Yes, I know that ground coffee sitting overnight is not the best, but the grind size is a lot coarser than espresso so it isn't as much of an issue - especially when I'm not entirely awake :lol:)

malling

#8: Post by malling »

They certainly didn't spend much time on the design, It look like all coffee machines 30 years ago. :lol:

But interesting they opted not to launch to Europe, they also took ages getting it sorted out with the last releases and some are still nowhere to be found

Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

It appears that Ratio is stressing function with this model: separate removable water reservoirs are not that common; and the key performance feature of a seal between the basket and the shower head has been carried over from the Ratio 6. I was a bit surprised that they didn't offer a white version though.

As for Europe, Ratio is a small company. Simultaneous development doesn't make good business sense as the basic design/physics underlying batch brewers means that it isn't just a matter of changing a heating element and getting certification testing. You'll note that there are quite a brewers that are only available in one voltage market - Wilfa, Melitta, Oxo, most Bonavitas ...

malling

#10: Post by malling replying to baldheadracing »

They do make 220v version of Ratio6