Question regarding Comandante for v60 - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Yan

#11: Post by Yan »

Yosialie wrote:its really hard for me to get really fresh roasted beans where im at. usually i got at least 1 or 2 weeks old roasts, and yes it doesnt give that pretty visual of rising bed, but still some gasses left there, but still the problem is most of those gasses still trapped after the bloom because the water drain way too fast, so at the 2nd pour theres still quite some bubbles coming out. idk maybe im doing it wrong or something.
May I know what Single Origin coffee do you use and the name of the coffee roastery?
Lets try to pour more slowly, you can try 40gr bloom for 30second and continue 4x65gr every 25 seconds and see are there any differences in the cups.

iyayy

#12: Post by iyayy »

1-2 weeks is actually quite good. i find some beans taste comes out better after resting for around 8-10 days.

so umm.. lets check how you prep and recipe.
1. did you pre-wet the paper before adding coffee?
2. i assume you did somewhat level your bed before pouring?
3. is your 1st pour for blooming enough?

the idea is;
1. if the paper is not pre-wet and sticks to the v60, it may be hangin or float. this will increase drawdown speed. you can compare it yourself if you lift the paper from the v60 when its full.. it will flow faster. there are arguments that this isnt required, but i find it helps consistency a lot.
2. straightforward. even bed = less channeling.
3. you need to pour enough to saturate most of beans. if not the next pour will likely follow the wet path, and not saturate the dry part. usually at least 3x grams of water per 1g of coffee is good starting point. so if you dose 30g, start with 90g of water.

here's something to watch.
half cut v60.
you can enable english caption.
personally i use both very coarse (coarser than french press) to fine.. depends mostly on grams and water temp. in office im limited to the lousy dispenser, so i grind a bit finer to extract more and compensate. my recipe didnt vary much if im at within good tasting range.

good luck.

Yosialie (original poster)

#13: Post by Yosialie (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Light roasts and well rested beans don't bloom as much so I think that what you're seeing is normal. I never get those massives blooms as I don't use my coffee when it's way too fresh or a somewhat darker roast. If it just swells up you're fine and just wait for the 30s mark and start pouring. Don't do a second pour with blooming.

For a longer total time just use more and smaller pours. I usually do a 40gr bloom followed by 2 times a 50gr pour and 20 times a 75gr pour so finish at 300gr. I also don't know what kind of beans you're using but drawdown times that are so quick I've only had with very stale beans or anearobic processed ones.

Can you post a video?
Right now im using :
Origin : Thika, Kenya
Variety : SL28, SL34
Washed
Roast Date: 11-10-22

i just tried with 20 clicks and pouring really slow (40gr @15sec), but seems like the slurry drain almost as fast as i pour. Does that perhaps has anything to do with the filter? but from what i heard the untabbed hario filter is the slowest filter tho, so idk.

Sry i dont know how to post a video here

#14: Post by Yosialie (original poster) »

learncoffee wrote:What OP tried to get is probably the bloom that you see a lot with Japanese coffee YouTube videos. Below is one from Cafe brewing guide where the bloom is nice and "big", starting around 3:10. It probably has to do with the roast level and freshness as Erik alluded.

video
not really, im not looking for that kind of bloom, im just wondering why theres no water left on my bloom after my pour, i mean the water just drain about the same as my pour time. so for example im using 18gr coffee, 40gr water to bloom, pouring at about 15sec, the water just drained like 2 sec after i finish pouring. and im already using medium fine grind already (18clicks on comandante)

erik82

#15: Post by erik82 »

Well to make things clear there shouldn't be water on top of the grounds when you finished pouring the bloom. It's only to wet the coffee and wait till it's degassed. So if that's what you're looking for then this is normal behaviour. When I finish pouring the 40gr for the bloom the grounds are wet and there's some water that's gone through the filter but there's no water sitting on top of the coffee bed.

If it's draining way too fast with the normal pours that most of the time means stale grounds but coffee that's near a month old should still work fine. But then I mean that with 4-5 pours you're still under 2:30 for total brew time with 18 clicks. Next thing is roasting and that can make a huge difference if it isn't done right. The normal V60 tabbed filters should still work fine so that shouldn't be the problem.

#16: Post by Yosialie (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Well to make things clear there shouldn't be water on top of the grounds when you finished pouring the bloom. It's only to wet the coffee and wait till it's degassed. So if that's what you're looking for then this is normal behaviour. When I finish pouring the 40gr for the bloom the grounds are wet and there's some water that's gone through the filter but there's no water sitting on top of the coffee bed.

If it's draining way too fast with the normal pours that most of the time means stale grounds but coffee that's near a month old should still work fine. Next thing is roasting and that can make a huge difference if it isn't done right. The normal V60 tabbed filters should still work fine so that shouldn't be the problem.
ahh ok then my next problem would be the slurry drain way too fast, i tried with just 3 pours today, 18gr coffee, 40gr on the bloom for 30 sec, then 130 on 2nd and 3rd, total water 300gr. I pour my 3rd one when the 2nd pour water almost drained, then swirl and let it drip, but total brew time only about 2 mins with 20 clicks on the comandante. ill try it again later on when i can get a fresh roasted coffee, for now maybe ill just use aeropress lol.

#17: Post by Yosialie (original poster) »

iyayy wrote:1-2 weeks is actually quite good. i find some beans taste comes out better after resting for around 8-10 days.

so umm.. lets check how you prep and recipe.
1. did you pre-wet the paper before adding coffee?
2. i assume you did somewhat level your bed before pouring?
3. is your 1st pour for blooming enough?

the idea is;
1. if the paper is not pre-wet and sticks to the v60, it may be hangin or float. this will increase drawdown speed. you can compare it yourself if you lift the paper from the v60 when its full.. it will flow faster. there are arguments that this isnt required, but i find it helps consistency a lot.
2. straightforward. even bed = less channeling.
3. you need to pour enough to saturate most of beans. if not the next pour will likely follow the wet path, and not saturate the dry part. usually at least 3x grams of water per 1g of coffee is good starting point. so if you dose 30g, start with 90g of water.

here's something to watch.
half cut v60.
you can enable english caption.
video

personally i use both very coarse (coarser than french press) to fine.. depends mostly on grams and water temp. in office im limited to the lousy dispenser, so i grind a bit finer to extract more and compensate. my recipe didnt vary much if im at within good tasting range.

good luck.
1. yes i do rinse the paper filter, and heat my dripper since its ceramic v60. i also try pushing the filter abit to the side so all paper is touching the drippper wall
2. yes i do level the bed, i also tried making and indent in the middle of the bed and still same result
3. my bloom usually just 2x ++ the amount of coffee (18gr coffee, 40gr bloom), so maybe ill try to use more water next time
ive tried playing with the temp also (90-100c) all pretty much give the same result :(

iyayy

#18: Post by iyayy »

Yosialie wrote: 3. my bloom usually just 2x ++ the amount of coffee (18gr coffee, 40gr bloom), so maybe ill try to use more water next time
ive tried playing with the temp also (90-100c) all pretty much give the same result :(
40gr should be ok.
it should actually saturate your coffee (a lot would be absorbed, some will drip through but not all of it)

are you using 02 or 03? the larger v60 would have larger bottom opening since its made to handle >30g of beans.
personally i prefer using 01 v60 for 10-16g. that gives me about 3min brew time with 5 pour, with about 30s wait between each, gtind adjusted so all water already flows through. i rarely use my 02 unless im doing >25g.

water contact time for drip should be long enough to extract the flavor regardless of brewer, unless you can steep it (french/aeropress/harioswitch).

otherwise someone with commandante should chime in..
i have no idea whether 18clicks is coarse or not. regardless, if you feel you need more bed resistance feel free to tighten the grind further. i sometimes use finer grind and less water, and slightly higher temp if i want to brew thicker. as always flavor is the best measure.

i think thats as much as i can advise you. good luck.

Yan

#19: Post by Yan »

C40, 22 click, 18/300gr, 5x60ml, 90C, 2m50s, TWW @120ppm, Hario white filter untab.
19 Days post roast, same coffee roasters as OP Space Roastery, it's Filter Blend Coffe (Forbidden Fruit Coffee)
Video from brewing session this morning

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HEVxol ... p=drivesdk

At piping hot a bit bitter but at warm and ambient temp all the bitterness are gone, with those simple 5x60gr pulse pouring the flow rate are normal and results in the cups complex, clean, sweet n acidic with strong apple and pomegranate notes....
Still curious why the OP have too fast flow rate...

bialettibarista

#20: Post by bialettibarista »

I recently had a similar experience as yours. I've had a Kinu with the pour over burr for quite some time now but I have been getting more in the pourover and just had to try the Comandante. With the Kinu I never really had these ultrafast flow rates on the bloom. Comandante boasts of tight distribution and less fines which could actually explain faster flow rates. I tried grinding more in the moka pot range and this did seem to help a bit .