Preinfusion with flow control

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tonito

#1: Post by Tonito »

I have flow control on my ECM Synchronika. Can I do pre infusion the same way I did without flow control?.
Also I made pretty good ristrettos without flow control, How do I make ristrettos using The Flow Control set up? I had to take off the flow control and re install the normal parts just to get a good ristretto. Thanks folks. Keep drinking good coffee
Tonito

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

I don't understand your question.

Measure your water debit right now - let the group run into a vessel for 10s and measure the weight.

Then install the flow control. Set the water debit to equal what it is now.

Use the machine withiut adjusting the flow control valve and it will behave exactly like it does now.

Easy peasy.

Cheers!

- Jake

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Tonito (original poster)

#3: Post by Tonito (original poster) »

So if I re install the flow control and set it to equal that flow without flow ontrol(which should be 11ml/sec) I expect it act like a machine without flow control ?

Jake_G
Team HB

#4: Post by Jake_G »

Indeed!

The caveat would be whether or not your kit had the stiffer spring to defeat the factory PI chamber. If it does, things are more complicated, but not bad.

Options include not installing the stiffer spring, or trying to emulate the PI chamber's effect with a slower flow rate.
Retaining the stock PI chamber spring will allow 11ml/s with the flow control to behave exactly the same as stock.
To emulate the PI chamber with a slower flow rate, you can mount the group pressure gauge right now and time how long it takes to hit peak brew pressure and then set the flow rate to some number lower than 11ml/s and then see how long it takes to hit peak pressure. Once you have a similar ramp as before, the machine should behave very closely to how it does now.

If there is no stiffer spring with the kit, ignore all that and set it to 11ml/s and be done with it.

Cheers!

- Jake

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

There's also no reason to think 11ml/sec is in any way ideal for coffee. Vibe pump machines are more like 7-8ml/sec stock flow rate. Longer preinfusion in the range of 3-10 seconds has almost no downside and potentially a large upside in terms of even puck wetting, puck stability, fines migration and overall more even extraction.

tompoland
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by tompoland »

I have the same set up (Synchronika with flow control) and if I have the flow control fully open its identical to not having flow control fitted at all. I use the flow control set so l get 2 bars for however long I want preinfusion, then open it up to 9 bars for initial pouring and reduce a bit later in the pour.

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

Tonito wrote:...
Also I made pretty good ristrettos without flow control, How do I make ristrettos using The Flow Control set up?
In my first response, I noted that I didn't understand your question.

The two fine responses above this are spot on, leaving me to reevaluate what you might have been asking.

Slower flow will require a finer grind. If you were lamenting that your shots were flowing fast with the flow control, thus you couldn't pull a ristretto at the same grind setting as before, the answer is unequivocally "grind finer".

Cheers!

- Jake

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Tony C.

#8: Post by Tony C. »

I had the same situation after I added flow control to my Synchronika. Here's a good solution. Open your flow control a quarter turn from closed position and measure the flow amount as suggested in the previous response and write it down. Do the same each further quarter turn until about one and a half revolutions writing down each measured amount for each quarter turn. If you have a rotary pump your normal preinfusion was most likely around 9-11 grams per second (gps). Using the measurements you just recorded rotate the flow control to that point. Work from there until you get the desired result. Good luck!

Tony C.

#9: Post by Tony C. »

Some additional information on flow control...

https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs/ar ... p-machines