Precise, filtered immersion brewing = superior to pour over? - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#41: Post by LBIespresso »

Free shipping from Soy for the moment with promo code: SOYMOM21

https://shop.soy.com.tr/
LMWDP #580

jpender

#42: Post by jpender »

Thanks. But even with free shipping the C1 silver pot is $10 more expensive directly from Soy than if you buy it from STC. An odd state of affairs. If I were in a hurry it wouldn't matter. But I'm not in a hurry. So I'll wait.

jpender

#43: Post by jpender »

I was talking to a friend about Turkish coffee and he told me he has a cezve, one of the Soy pots. So I met him (first time in person in about 15 months) and borrowed it. And I made some Turkish coffee this morning. It was delicious! A second small cup really gave me a buzz. It was a bit of a production compared to pulling a shot on my Robot. Definitely not a hurried morning sort of thing.

Interesting side note: My Kinu M47 would not grind at all at the lower settings. It would just spin and do nothing. I had to set it at 2.0.0 and then it produced what I think was an acceptable Turkish grind. My typical espresso setting is around 2.5.0 - 2.7.0.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#44: Post by LBIespresso »

you could try grinding coarse and then regrinding that finer. I am using my Kafatek and grinding a touch finer than espresso. I also found that the lighter the roast the longer you should take to get to have the foam rise to the top. 1:30-2:00 has been my range where I have had best results.
LMWDP #580

jpender

#45: Post by jpender »

That makes sense about the foam. You probably want more extraction with a lighter roast. I have a medium-dark roast at the moment, just a few days post-roast., and the two cups I made were about 2 minutes. I did the ~60°C water start that STC recommends.

I think the grind I'm getting is in range so no need for trickery. It's just an oddity of the grinder that it doesn't feed at the lowest end. I kind of half remember somebody else reporting that about the Kinu.

I was really impressed at how good the coffee was this morning. I was sort of thinking it might not be. Having really fresh coffee no doubt helps.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by yakster »

I'm sure that fresh coffee really helps. I've read that one of the traditional ways to make Turkish coffee is to use a light roast and put just the coffee grounds at the bottom of the cezve and roast it a bit darker before adding the water, cardamom, and sugar. I haven't tried this, and I have a bit of a challenge making Turkish coffee on my radiant cooktop because it uses a duty cycle of turning the burner on and off to control temps instead of having continuous temperature control.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jonk

#47: Post by Jonk »

jpender wrote:I think the grind I'm getting is in range so no need for trickery. It's just an oddity of the grinder that it doesn't feed at the lowest end. I kind of half remember somebody else reporting that about the Kinu.
Might've been me. That is my experience with Kinu Classic, Phoenix and also Timemore G1. Something about the burr design, for some reason an Aergrind could grind finer. But I think you're right - I can easily grind finer now with Niche Zero but the main benefit I've found is that it sediments better to the bottom of the cup. Taste is fine with a bit coarser grounds as well.

Cardamom will mask most of the coffee flavor so I'd only add it when using beans that are not very tasty.

jpender

#48: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:...But I think you're right - I can easily grind finer now with Niche Zero but the main benefit I've found is that it sediments better to the bottom of the cup.

Are you saying a finer grind settles better?

When the grinder wasn't feeding I changed the setting in fairly large steps until it did feed. At the setting I used it was finer than espresso, at least finer than what I've used in the Robot. But I may be able to grind finer, I just haven't tried. And I have another grinder that can produce a pretty fine grind.

It's just not obvious to me what the optimal grind would be for Turkish coffee. I assume you don't want talc-like dust.

Jonk

#49: Post by Jonk »

jpender wrote: Are you saying a finer grind settles better?

It's just not obvious to me what the optimal grind would be for Turkish coffee. I assume you don't want talc-like dust.
I think it's rather forgiving. You can probably adjust as fine as your grinder will go - but it's not worth it if grinding by hand or if that produces a lot of clumps. Very fine grinds will settle and stay in the bottom of the cup like mud.