Precise, filtered immersion brewing = superior to pour over? - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jpender

#31: Post by jpender »

lukehk wrote:I've seen a few people post in the roasting forum that they brew Turkish soon after [roasting]. Is this a good way to test roasts. Seems like it could be a consistent approach not affected so much but grind size but more "drinkable" than cupping
I wonder if it would really foam up.

What's wrong with cupping?

DamianWarS

#32: Post by DamianWarS »

jpender wrote: Lead in the copper? I thought the problem was copper leaching into the coffee due to its acidity. Maybe you're thinking of lead in some tin alloys?

Near as I can tell all I really need to try this form of brewing is a decent pot. I have a little butane stove. A fancy kettle or a stand or a serving tray don't seem necessary. Maybe an appropriate size/shape cup would be a good idea. So $100 or so...
you're right on that one, I'm thinking about brass (they are made in brass too). the acidic part seems to be the reason

lukehk

#33: Post by lukehk »

After roasting I like to have a drink to both evaluate the roast and to enjoy. I think I get more flavours and clarity doing a kalita than a cupping or clever drip. Maybe it's just my cupping ability. I roast 100g batches in my kaffelogic nano 7 and taste it at various intervals over 10 days. I also make espresso. So not much to play with. So I thought if Turkish maybe a useful addition to this process. A drink I can enjoy and a forgiving method suitable soon after a roast

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#34: Post by LBIespresso »

jpender wrote:Thanks for that, it's very interesting.

Do you have the whole STC kit or did you cobble gear together from other sources? I would imagine a key element is using a quality pot/ibrik/cezve. I've seen them for $15 on amazon and assumed they wouldn't work as well.
It's funny because I wasn't sure i would like it since it looked cool but I had never tried it. So I was hesitant to buy STC because it seemed expensive. In my searches for alternatives I could only find super cheap offerings that did not inspire confidence. And then I looked at my espresso setup and realized that the full kit from STC is super inexpensive in comparison :lol:

So I went ahead and bought the STC Pro with the stand that doubles as a pour-over cone holder and the burner. I already had a nice little wood spoon from a matcha set and I did not buy the cups but I wish I had.

I can say I recommend this purchase to anyone that is comfortable spending a couple hundred bucks on getting to know coffee in a different format and what is the oldest brewing method for our beloved beverage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoction).
LMWDP #580

jpender

#35: Post by jpender »

My espresso setup isn't very expensive (machine + grinder less than $700) so the whole kit doesn't seem inexpensive to me. I don't even know if I'd like that type of coffee although I imagine that I would.

Do you ever wish you had one of their larger pots?

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#36: Post by LBIespresso »

Not yet. I have made coffee for 4 people and it was fine. A bit of a production but people seem to love to watch the process.

I don't think it will be used daily, more like once a week or so. But it is a different brewing method/drink so I enjoy seeing how different coffees that I roast taste as espresso, long black, pour over, and now Turkish.

If it is too expensive for you at the moment, I would suggest paying up for just the cezve. Then trying it out on your stove if you have an open flame burner. If you really like it you can buy the rest. If not I bet you could sell the cezve here for close to what you paid.

Or you could wait for others to read this, get inspired to buy the whole setup, and then decide it's not for them and sell it here :wink:
LMWDP #580

jpender

#37: Post by jpender »

LBIespresso wrote:If it is too expensive for you at the moment, I would suggest paying up for just the cezve. Then trying it out on your stove if you have an open flame burner.

That's what I was thinking. I have a tiny butane backing backpacking stove that I use for moka pots that I think would work fine.

The pot at $60-70 isn't too bad. But pot, stand & burner, a cup, kettle, and paddle together is about 4X as much. It's not that I can't afford it per se. It just feels out of proportion, particularly since I'm not sure how much I'd use it.

Jonk

#38: Post by Jonk »

Andrew, have you compared with a simple stainless pot or jug? It seems I get at least similar results with mine.

I have compared that to a brass/tin cezve of medium quality (at least 1mm thick) but mostly found that I had to be more careful not to boil the coffee in it since it has better thermal conductivity.

To John and anyone else reading: I'd like to reiterate that you don't need anything fancy to try it out. As long as you can heat up fast enough and just pour to the cup directly, it'll work. Would I like an STC kit? Of course! If nothing else it looks very slick and convenient. But if you don't want to splurge for the best you can make do with what you have on hand.

On the other hand, I'm sure I'd brew more often if I didn't have to stand there with a thermometer.

jpender

#39: Post by jpender »

It looks like STC is out of stock at the moment. Soy has the pots but they are a little more expensive (even though the pots STC sells are Soy pots).

I don't do milk drinks so no jug in my house. I have a 600ml backpacking pot/mug but it's made out of titanium which is miserably non-conductive thermally. I don't know how much that matters.

Maybe the closest thing I have is a heavy walled 24oz saucepan. It's wider than it is tall though so probably isn't a great choice. Would it even be worth trying?

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#40: Post by LBIespresso »

jpender wrote: That's what I was thinking. I have a tiny butane backing stove that I use for moka pots that I think would work fine.

The pot at $60-70 isn't too bad. But pot, stand & burner, a cup, kettle, and paddle together is about 4X as much. It's not that I can't afford it per se. It just feels out of proportion, particularly since I'm not sure how much I'd use it.
Your math and logic make sense to me. I even thought about just getting the pot.
jpender wrote: It looks like STC is out of stock at the moment. Soy has the pots but they are a little more expensive (even though the pots STC sells are Soy pots).
I emailed STC to ask about availability as they were out of stock when I first looked and they let me know when they would be back.
jonk wrote:Andrew, have you compared with a simple stainless pot or jug? It seems I get at least similar results with mine.
I have not. I am curious how much the shape and thermal conductivity/control make a difference though.
LMWDP #580