Pourover shape and taste? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#21: Post by Acavia »

DamianWarS wrote:that's a nice find, I have a pile of various brewers some flat bottom some cone and I have witnessed this particular phenomenon in every one. all except when using a bypass free method (like using an aeropress as a gravity dripper) where the opposite phenomenon happens and water migrates to the center. But the Rao video very clearly demostrates the former.

The espro bloom has a filter and filterless mode. It might be the best to observe the effects of this surface water movement phenomenon with and without the paper. the paperless method will have no bypass and if ou observe the surface movement migrating to the centre then it strongly suggests that if not bypass then something unique with adding a paper filter is the cause of water being drawn to the sides.
So It seems the filter is causing that pull to side by wicking or some other physical trait, since it is present in both cone and flat bottom drippers when a filter is present.

DamianWarS

#22: Post by DamianWarS replying to Acavia »

and does the "wicking" contribute to water flowing on both sides of the filter when the filter is raised off the surface of the brewer?

Acavia

#23: Post by Acavia »

I noticed water movement between filter and dripper today. Seems immaterial amount of water, and I suspect flat bottom, since bubbles pull toward filter, do it too - although V60 probably has more since more surface area from its cone shape, but I assume immaterial amount.

Jean1222

#24: Post by Jean1222 »

The speed of the water flow will affect the taste of pour over coffee. Generally speaking, gooseneck kettles are best.
Generally speaking, I prefer to brew the coffee with water in the middle rather than pour it along the edges.