Pour over with french press grind.

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Bornin1992

#1: Post by Bornin1992 »

Hi, all,

What pour over would work well with a french press grind? I have recently ordered a Hario Skerton Plus to replace a Cuisinart DBM-8 and would like to avoid adjusting its grind setting. I am new to coffee and would like one that has room for error. Ideally, it would also be able to create 16 ounces.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Ian

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

Possibly, if you don't sieve the grinds. Also, if you do sieve the grinds, it might be useable for French press as well.

Generally, it is preferable to adjust grind appropriately for the application. Consider two grinders at different settings, as the Hario Skerton is pretty inexpensive.

MikeTheBlueCow

#3: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

With a grind that coarse, it is likely any pour over would work, you would probably need to adjust how many pours you do to get the brew time to 3.5-4 minutes in order to prevent under extraction. It will depend on how much coffee+water you use as well. I'd go Chemex or Wave, maybe even a beehouse or December dripper.

Bornin1992 (original poster)

#4: Post by Bornin1992 (original poster) replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

To clarify I understand, I would need to increase the number of pours?

I received my Skerton Pro and am frustrated immeasurably with adjusting the settings. Did I make a mistake? :(

happycat

#5: Post by happycat »

Bonavita Immersion, clever dripper might work better for you
LMWDP #603

MikeTheBlueCow

#6: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

Bornin1992 wrote:To clarify I understand, I would need to increase the number of pours?

I received my Skerton Pro and am frustrated immeasurably with adjusting the settings. Did I make a mistake? :(
Yes. Simply, many pour over recipes call for single pours, but to get the right brew time you control the speed by having the right grind size, which is usually quite a bit smaller than French Press coarse. A common thing to do with a grind that's too coarse is make more pours, so you are extending the brew time that way. Pour overs that might work best would be a beehouse/melitta, (which restricts flow significantly), December dripper (you can adjust flow), Clever (start off with immersion and then finish as pour over), Chemex 3-cup (heavily restricted and I use near a French Press grind, still would need at least a couple pours).

As for the Skerton Pro, I thought that was supposed to be easy to adjust compared to the original? Unless I'm mistaken, you tighten to zero and then twist and count the number of clicks?

#7: Post by Bornin1992 (original poster) replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

I took the plunge and ordered a large Bee House.

My apologies, I meant to write the Skerton Plus, which does not have the number of clicks. I have followed the Four Barrel adjustment guide, but to get a decently course enough grind for a French Press, I have to turn nine notches from 0. What frustrates me with the adjustment is I can never replicate ground 0. For example, I will line everything up and mark with a marker, but when I reassemble, it never is the same.

MikeTheBlueCow

#8: Post by MikeTheBlueCow replying to Bornin1992 »

In that case, I have the original Skerton (it was my starter grinder that I keep laying around for no apparent reason). It is tricky! Make sure you are always starting from the same orientation, and that you are holding the center post and pulling it upward when you are adjusting the notched nut. Tighten the nut (not terribly hard, just so you know where zero is). Then count the notches from there before placing the position holder piece. I think 9 is a good setting for FP, based on mine, however many people seem to have vastly different grind sizes for their Skertons.

I'm not familiar with the Four Barrel guide, so I'm not sure if I've actually given you any more information lol. I believe there are some videos on it that might help as well. Maybe one on YouTube from FrenchPressCoffee.com or Seattle Coffee Gear, I remember watching both of those when I got my Skerton.

#9: Post by Bornin1992 (original poster) replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

At least I am not the only one who finds it tricky!

Curious: Do you have an Encore? I am debating returning the Skerton and ordering it. Thoughts?

MikeTheBlueCow

#10: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

I do not have the Encore, but it is definitely better than the Skerton. What is your budget like? For grinders, it's really worth it to get the best you can afford, and I personally think if you can do that early then you don't have to upgrade several times.