Pour over temperature. 200F 93C always does better for me

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I had 4 ounces of a coffee. Made 5 pour overs with it. First two at 209F, second two at 205F and last one at 200F. Last one was so much better - had I not brewed it myself, I would be convinced someone put a chocolate syrup/cream in it. Much more smooth, sweet and rich than the other brews.

I go through that same patterns with new coffees. Start with water right off boil, then after some brews, use lower temperature water and as I recall the lower temperatures are usually better. I looked over my coffee logs at various coffees. My notes confirmed it.

Is it just me, or do others find 200F to usually brew better than higher temperatures?

DamianWarS

#2: Post by DamianWarS » replying to Acavia »

The more developed a roast is may be better at lower temps otherwise an unpleasant harshness seems to come out. I personally would set a temp ceiling for anything above second crack at 200 f and even favouring lower temps of 194 (or 90c cause I do metric)

What sort of roast are you using and historically is that roast usually the same?

Cuphead

#3: Post by Cuphead »

I used 96C/203F water for a long time but since the beginning of this year I've found my brew water temp getting steadily lower and my enjoyment increasing. I really don't care about measuring my brews in any way except my tastebuds (and obviously a scale) and decided that I don't care what the general consensus seems to be, I make coffee mostly for myself and my own opinion is the most important one. I only drink Nordic style roasts from mainly Scandinavia, and most of my V60s start off at 92C/198F now going as low as 90C/194F for some South American coffees. I find these brews to be sweet, balanced and most importantly rich in the beautiful subtle flavours and aromas that coffee has to offer. I find that going hotter may increase the sweetness but at the same time I feel like I'm losing some of the delicate floral/citrus etc. magic.

Some people say go as hot as you can, and if you enjoy your coffee that way I'd say you're doing it right. But if you find that lower temp produces a cup more to your liking then who's going to stop you? :D

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane »

Glad I saw this. I've been using 205°. Time to stop. No 2C coffee here.

MikeTheBlueCow

#5: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

I used to find myself in a pattern where I was brewing at 205 F, then 203 F, then 200 F... And these were with light roasts. At this same time, I would try boiling water (because that kept being recommended), and it was always bad.

I was being very precise with the timing of my pours, having very consistent brews. But at some point I stopped getting good coffee, and only got a little improvement by using more concentrated ratios.

I eventually figured out that I was grinding really coarse and was really just getting weak brews (even at 1:15). Now I grind 4 settings finer on a Lido 3. The grind size is more like sand, whereas before it was more like sea salt... And this was for 15-20g pour overs.

So maybe it's your grind size? I noticed now that I grind a lot finer, I can use hotter temps, and get longer brew times, and while all of that sounds like it would lead to over extraction, it doesn't. It's just a stronger, better flavor. I will say that while I can use boiling with some lighter coffees, I mostly prefer to stay at 208 F, dropping to 205 F for darker roasts.

Acavia

#6: Post by Acavia »

DamianWarS wrote:
What sort of roast are you using and historically is that roast usually the same?
It was my first order from Happy Mug. A Cosat Rica anearobic coffee. It was darker than I usually use. It was labeled medium.

Acavia

#7: Post by Acavia »

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:
So maybe it's your grind size?
My grinds are almost powder - look like powder but if spread it there is small, uniform grit to it.

DamianWarS

#8: Post by DamianWarS »

Acavia wrote:It was my first order from Happy Mug. A Cosat Rica anearobic coffee. It was darker than I usually use. It was labeled medium.
labelling is relative. a starbucks medium is well beyond second crack. I'm not sure what they call dark but their medium is far beyond a medium. Sometimes "medium" is relative language based on the roasting development. beans can look dark on the outside but be underdeveloped on the inside and the word "medium" means "it's developed" in that it's not underdeveloped or overdeveloped but developed which could be any colour (you can have a dark bean that's underdeveloped in the inside). Second crack beans start to take on a shiny appearance and you're going to start seeing oil emerge on the outside. a city roast is just after first crack and a full city roast is just before second crack and between first and second crack is where development of the bean happens. I like these terms because they are relative to first and second crack which is what I'm interested in.

Saying light, medium, dark however can be somewhat arbitrary because there's no common reference point but if those terms are position between first and second crack then a light roast is a city roast, a dark roast is a full city roast and medium is something in the middle and this is the terminology I can agree with (because its the middle of the development time). a roast pulled during second crack is a Viennese roast then after that French and after that Italian (and unconsumable I might add, you might as well grind up burn toast). Sometimes I think what starbucks calls a medium is actually french and I suppose their dark is an Italian Often times it all branding and nothing to do with the roast. but people will argue these terms and where they belong on the scale which is quite frustrating. as far as I'm concerned the most widely known roasting handbook in the industry is Rao's Coffee Roaster Companion and that's the terminology he uses and I think is more widely adopted.

but essentially if you the beans are shiny, oily and maybe even black its after second crack, probably Viennese or french and I would use under 90c water to brew with it. I've never had a cinnamon roast (pulled during, not after, first crack) but I would suspect that's a roast where boiling water is warranted.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

Niche @ 45

Acavia

#10: Post by Acavia » replying to mkane »

What does "45" mean?