Pour over makers -- is there really a difference? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
rmongiovi

#21: Post by rmongiovi »

yakster wrote:Your grind quality may not cause filter clogging that the trick of adding water first may help to prevent, so you probably won't see much benefit.
Well, I've never thought there was anything all that exceptional about my grind quality. But I do find it mildly entertaining that Hoffman says both "immersion brewing is very forgiving so if you get distracted and let it steep a bit too long it doesn't matter all that much" at the same time that he advocates water before coffee to shave a few seconds off of the draw down time. I assume he practices by believing six impossible things before breakfast....

LewBK

#22: Post by LewBK »

I would say the biggest difference would be the plastic that will be in your blood and potentially stay in your body for the rest of your life if you use a plastic dripper instead of a porcelain, glass or steel one:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... first-time

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/new ... man-organs

mkane
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by mkane »

I'm still here and have been using a plastic dripper going on 50 years.

LewBK

#24: Post by LewBK »

The fact that you're still here is not how science works any more than thinking if it's snowing outside your house that it's proof there's no such thing as climate change. That is anecdotal.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#25: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to LewBK »

Thank you for for concern! Anyhow I see no mention of coffee drippers in those articles, furthermore I see that the percentage of people with platic in their body's don't really match up with the percentage of coffee drinkers ;)

chockfullofbutts (original poster)

#26: Post by chockfullofbutts (original poster) »

My journey into the espresso world has been so challenging. So much equipment to chase that last 5% that I was thinking about going back to pour-over and trying my luck at extracting the nuanced flavors of some nice coffees.

Thanks for the advice. I can see one thing I've been doing wrong for years is just grinding too fine. Watching the YouTube videos the ground coffee Hoffman uses is so much coarser is almost looks like French Press!

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by Stanford55 replying to chockfullofbutts »

Taking a step back, simplifying things and trusting your instincts (and palate) is an excellent idea. The coffee rabbit hole is deep and treacherous, and will be there should you feel the need to jump back in.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by Shakespeare »

chockfullofbutts wrote:I've always been a bit of a skeptic but I'm very curious if people here have opinions based off experience...
I just read the of the best pour over gear and I really have trouble believing that these plastic pour over devices can be worth the money and can make a difference.
I MIGHT believe that the number of holes / size of holes can make a difference because of flow rate / extraction time but the various 'waves' and 'flat vs conical' seem like a stretch.
Are there any people here who have taken a deep dive with this?
#6: Post by Jeff » July 29th, 2022, 11:55 pm
Not only are there significant differences in the drippers, but among the various filters as well. Some prefer "fast" or "slow" filters, as well preferences among what and how much or how little they retain from the coffee.
If your preferences run to pre-gound Dunkin' Donuts, Tim Horton's, or your regional equivalent, you're right, spending more on drippers and papers probably isn't going to make a huge improvement in the cup.
chockfullofbutts (original poster) » July 31st, 2022, 7:53 am
Thanks, Jeff. Not sure that I mentioned anywhere in my original message that I prefer Dunkin' Donuts, Tim Horton's, or any other inexpensive pre-ground coffee.

Therefore, what you wrote sounds a little bit arrogant. If I've misinterpreted that, my apologies, but I'm just letting you know that's how it read to me.

Chockfullofbutts: "" A basic example of an ad hominem argument is a person telling someone "you're stupid,(arrogant) so I don't care what you have to say", in response to hearing them present a well-thought position. This is the simplest type of fallacious ad hominem argument, which is nothing more than an abusive personal attack, and which has little to do with the topic being discussed.""

I think it would be better to Instead of simply insulting a person. Just properly replying to a point that they raised.

rmongiovi

#29: Post by rmongiovi »

Just my two cents, but I didn't assume anything abusive about mentioning Dunkin' Donuts, Tim Horton's, etc. Everyone's taste is personal and understanding another person's taste is essential when giving them a recommendation. It might be that you're projecting your own attitude onto that of the original posters.