Pour-over brewing with distilled water - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
luca
Team HB

#11: Post by luca »

Rjreusch wrote:For pour-over (V60), I have found by experimenting that you get more extraction and flavor with higher levels of hardness (primarily calcium). It is a known flavor extractor.
To come to that conclusion, you really need to compare the same coffee, brewed with the same salts added before and after brewing. Did you do that? Dr Fekete did that and her panel couldn't discern a difference:

https://www.beanscenemag.com.au/the-pow ... e-tasting/

There's a problem with these sorts of experiments that don't show results, which is that it might be that the tasting panels suck, so it's worth repeating it to see if you have any different views.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Grader Exam, Brewer's Cup #3, Australian Cup Tasting #1

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

baldheadracing wrote:Tim Wendelboe is very well-known for extolling Oslo's very soft water. Using water similar to the water that the roaster used to develop the roasting curve should give better results - about 10 years ago Phil&Sebastian (top Canadian roasters) found this out, albeit from the other end: https://www.freshcup.com/correct-coffee-wrong-water/
I also brew beer where the effect of water on brewing different beer styles was similarly misunderstood. The classic styles of pilsners and stouts were originally developed using local waters whose impact was unknown to early brewers. During the relatively recent revolution in craft brewing others discovered the same problem Phil and Sebastien did in being unable to replicate brew styles from other areas. Now it's more common to use water recipes when brewing a particular style and authentic taste is desired.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Rjreusch

#13: Post by Rjreusch »

I do all my experiments (within a set) with the same coffee. In this case Ethiopia Hambela Kirite roasted by Onyx labs. I agree that significantly different beans and or roast level could yield different results and optimum water composition. That being said, I do not do rigorous scientific experiments just careful observations from a coffee enthusiast to add to other peoples comments. Any results I give are just to possibly spur ideas but for sure they are not conclusive and would need to be tried by others to see what they think. There is never a tasting panel and it is all based on my preferences which adds more confusion to the mix. Maybe I will just read posts to get ideas for myself. I can keep my more detailed comments to myself and let more proficient brewers post more rigorous experiments.

blutch

#14: Post by blutch »

I'd like to test my water and figure out both pour over and espresso recipes. Is there a tutorial or primer for those of us that don't know all the acronyms and don't know what the testing numbers mean? I need a beginning point. Thanks.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Brewzologist »

blutch wrote:I'd like to test my water and figure out both pour over and espresso recipes. Is there a tutorial or primer for those of us that don't know all the acronyms and don't know what the testing numbers mean? I need a beginning point. Thanks.
Here's a basic overview:
A Practical Water Guide for Coffee Professionals

Here's a post that may be helpful on testing: What tests to request to decide on water filter system. Also have a look/search in the Water forum where you will find tons of info on water recipes and testing. HTH

jedovaty

#16: Post by jedovaty »

About a year and half ago I was exploring installing a reverse osmosis system for another hobby, and I considered routing a line to my drinking water tap so I could brew coffee with it.. my ratio machine needs service at least twice a year with my mavea filtered tap water due to its hardness, and I thought maybe it would need less service/cleaning using much "cleaner" water, but I was concerned about taste (I am aware one can tweak to RO formula to have more TDS).

I ran a simple test - brewed a coffee I was familiar with cupping style, two with tap water, two with distilled water. I had a friend pour the water and mix up the cups while I wasn't paying attention, so it would be a blind test for me. I couldn't tell the difference.. :shock: :oops: I haven't posted here in a long time, but when I was deeply into this hobby, I was able to taste coffee differences with just a couple drops of various amendments to coffee, such as phosphoric and acetic acids, and I got pretty good at pinpointing and matching my tasting notes with others. So not sure what happened, maybe my friend pulled a fast one and made them all with the same water :twisted:

It'd be fun to try this again someday.

Brien

#17: Post by Brien »

I used to use RO home brewing beer. Still have bags of the carious minerals etc. Hmm...

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
jedovaty

#18: Post by jedovaty »

Give it a go, but be sure to do triangle blind taste tests in your most consistent brewing format to rule out placebo.