The Physics of Filter Coffee: Jonathan Gagné

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I'm curious who's picked up Jonathan's book and their thoughts on it? I'm surprised that it hasn't already received it's on discussion here. I haven't picked it up yet, but likely will.

I'm curious to read if anyone found anything enlightening or fascinating that has improved their brews. I imagine so, I just haven't heard much about it yet. Please share if you have.

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

For those of us who don't follow coffee personalities on social media, here's a link

https://www.scottrao.com/products/physi ... than-gagne

I am definitely not the audience for this.
LMWDP #603

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I've been waiting for someone to start this thread and post a review. I keep seeing Jonathan's posts on IG.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Bought it but haven't read it yet. Soon, hopefully!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by DamianWarS »

TomC wrote:I'm curious who's picked up Jonathan's book and their thoughts on it? I'm surprised that it hasn't already received it's on discussion here. I haven't picked it up yet, but likely will.

I'm curious to read if anyone found anything enlightening or fascinating that has improved their brews. I imagine so, I just haven't heard much about it yet. Please share if you have.
I'm on his Patreon and all the topics covered in the book seem to be on his patreon. His patreon is quite thorough and certainly a collection of the patreon blogs put together are enough for a book. I'm curious to know if the book itself has additional content than his blogs do? or if the book is more of an organized version and the patreon?

Jeff001

#6: Post by Jeff001 »

I bought the book, haven't gotten through much of it yet though. I'm fairly certain it's got much more content than just what's on his Patreon.

My personal opinion, so take it for what it is, but if you can afford it and are interested in in depth but digestible info, pick it up and support his efforts. He's adding real science to much of what has been "bro science" or just accepted based on assumptions up to this point (of course with the noted exception of the great discussions on this forum). It's a great cause to get behind. Some of us spend a ton of money on our coffee, equipment, and accessories striving to get the best cup we can, but there's so much more to all of it and having a deeper understanding of the how's and why's can only make this hobby that much more fulfilling.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but as several of you have said, I too have been waiting for this thread and believe Jonathan's work, and him in general, are due much more recognition.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate »

They lost me at $18 shipping on a $45 book. I agree that the work should be supported. If there was a digital copy a lot more money would go into the hands of the people involved.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
jdrobison

#8: Post by jdrobison »

At the risk of going OT... Probably 90% of my books are digital books but in some cases, I do prefer the real thing. In this case, I wouldn't want a digital version and am happy to pay more so that money goes into the hands of all those involved. A digital version would be a nice option for those who prefer it but I'd expect it to be quite a bit cheaper by the amount that it would have cost to print and distribute it. IOW... Everyone gets paid what they earned.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by PIXIllate »

Different strokes. I'd pay the same in the case of small publishers doing original research. I want MORE money to go to them.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC (original poster) »

PIXIllate wrote:They lost me at $18 shipping on a $45 book. I agree that the work should be supported. If there was a digital copy a lot more money would go into the hands of the people involved.

This was my initial issue as well. I added it to my cart the day it was released, then saw the shipping costs and firmly pumped the brakes.