Origami Cone-Wave Filter (new era on Brewing)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tzan92

#1: Post by Tzan92 »

Hello everyone , I'm new here , My name is Tzanetos and I'm from Greece !

I've been involved with coffee from 2017 ( kinda new ) and I work as a Barista !
I love Brewing coffee so after an accident I had in the past ( as you can tell I was for many many months stuck at home) I created my own small coffee lab , which got me into roasting using Ikawa Pro and after some time and once I had established great relations with amazing coffee producers arround the world sourcing their coffees also got me into competing in the Greek Brewers Cup !

I can really go on and on , but so far is a great introduction of who I am !

Last three months I've been playing a lot with origami dripper , and I would love to share with you a new innovation I've come up with !!
Using the lily dripper with Kalita Wave 185 paper filters allows us to complete change the filter shape , creating a Cone_Wave filter as I call it !
Have to say that when testing side by side with V60 , the v60 compared as ~FLAT~ next to origami !

This new coffee bed dynamic allows for optimum airflow inside the dripper and maximum water flow , allowing me to grind way finer than ever before!

My concept was always how to grind finer but without using low amount of pours in order to achieve good results ! ( To help me in coffee competitions where you need to brew three coffees at once and identical )

So I use 15g coffee to 250g water , resulting in a 220ml beverage using 4 pours
50g / 120g / 180g / 250g
in a total brewing time of 2:00 to 2:15 mins ( same grind size in v60 reaches 3:00 mins and more)

I would love to share it with you even though I'm going to present it on next years Brewer's Cup here in Greece ( with more detailes and explanations of what is happening )

Also you can check out a small video I've made :
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-fDf52pFM3/

P.S rinse the filter before changing its shape !
Thank You

LewBK

#2: Post by LewBK »

No question it's pretty. How does the coffee taste and how difficult is it to clean those origami crevices? Congrats on your invention.

Tzan92

#3: Post by Tzan92 » replying to LewBK »

You just discard the used filter ! then just water is fine and ready for re-use !
In tasting ? I think everyone must try it , so far I've shared my brewing method with World brewing champions and top coffee professionals !
Their feedback is way more positive than I expected ! Having the benefit of grinding a lot finer without over-extracting results in a really clean but intense and rich brew in flavours , also way more aromatic !

Even Ethiopian coffees high density ones that sometimes is hard to brew effectively , they come out insanely great !

You should try-out !

Charlemagne

#4: Post by Charlemagne »

I see you also like to use your v60 as support for the Origami! The included ring is pretty, but functionally terrible haha. Interesting idea about turning a flat bottom wave filter into a conical wave filter. Do you think the shape is making more difference than the filter paper? Perhaps these fast filters by Sibarist would be even better.

ira
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by ira »

Do you leave the piece in while brewing?

Ira

Tzan92

#6: Post by Tzan92 »

Charlemagne wrote:I see you also like to use your v60 as support for the Origami! The included ring is pretty, but functionally terrible haha. Interesting idea about turning a flat bottom wave filter into a conical wave filter. Do you think the shape is making more difference than the filter paper? Perhaps these fast filters by Sibarist would be even better.
I love v60 I competed with it in Greek Brewers Cup !
I've tasted almost everything in v60 including different paper filters! Including sibarist and no_brand_paper !

But from the moment I tried this I compared v60 as flat , compared to origami brews!
The ribs and the perfect match of the filter after becomes cone allows for the optimum airflow and water flow ! Allowing to grind way finer! Without extracting more than it should!

In total origami with wave_cone results in richer brews , higher flavour intensity ! Insane aromatics , crazy sweetness witch follows in aftertaste even when the coffee becomes cold !

Well I might have invented that brewing method but I'm trying to be objective! Trust me I've shared this with world coffee championship judges and champions! Their feedback to my brewing method was way more than positive!
I will present it actually in next year's Brewers Cup!

Tzan92

#7: Post by Tzan92 »

ira wrote:Do you leave the piece in while brewing?

Ira
Nope. Just use it to change the filter shape, right after I remove it

De Selby

#8: Post by De Selby »

Hi Tzanetos,
Can you tell me where you purchased the Origami? Like you I am in Europe (Ireland) but I can't find any retailer here that sells the Medium size version.
Thanks!

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

Very cool! I am also wondering how to source this brewer. wondering if any us distributors will be carrying it.

jpreiser

#10: Post by jpreiser » replying to brianl »

Lilydrip can be found on Amazon.

I'm sure there are others carrying them but I spotted the Origami Dripper on Dark Matter Coffee's online store