Origami Cone-Wave Filter (new era on Brewing) - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ojt

#21: Post by ojt »

Tzan92 wrote:Hello my friend , well , actually every coffee is different .. and interacts on different ways .
In terms of "becoming sour" I would suggest you to experiment on blooming , the lower the bloom = higher in acidity ~ maybe sour sometimes !
The bigger the bloom = lower in acidity and more sweet , but you need to find the optimum balance , I agree that in some Nordic Roasts you can go like two pours , in order to have a cleaner expression , but for me Light roasts are a bit more developed than nordic ones !
Where you can actually taste all the flavours of a certain coffee !
Thanks! Yes, I know this, Mr Kasuya used this with his 4-6 method and I have played around with it.
Tzan92 wrote:For me I go for at least 3-4 pours , because Its like always training for next Brewers Cup , where you need to filter 3 brews simultaneously !
Also , I have rejected the 200ml in totals pour and I go at least 230-240 , Because coffee extracts sweetness in a later part of the brew and low amounts of brew does not have always the right amount of time of water in contact with coffee !
I seriously suggest starting on basic 15/250 recipe and adjust everything from there !
Starting with a 30 to 60 g bloom and also adjusting !
Yeah I have standardized to 15g - 250g recipe. Varied a little with pours etc of course but lately been doing just bloom and one pour. I am mostly an espresso guy though so I usually default to espresso if things go wrong :)
Tzan92 wrote:I preheat the cone most times yes (Origins of Africa like Ethiopia and Kenya ), but sometimes I even rinse with cold water ( Origins of Panama , Colombia etc ) !
Also I do Adjust the temp of rinse on the acidity I wanna get from each coffee !
This sort of answers my question. I think I asked "apart from the rinsing. I have played with preheating the cone on top of boiling water and it does improve results for some beans. Was just curious if you are doing something similar. It would seem so? :)

I am a technical mind and I read a lot. I know the techniques but was mostly curious about the question of preheating this precise cone as there is not much information out there yet.

Thanks!
Osku

DamianWarS

#22: Post by DamianWarS »

Tzan92 wrote: Hello Andrew , yeap , the fact is that I'm actually try to reach in some labs in my town and a factory to try and make a custom filter which I would like to be even faster in drawn downs ! Covid though slows everything down !

Thanks for your advices and if you have the time give this method a try ! You'll be surprised !
I'm beginning to think this would be a bad idea as it would create a seal with the brewer walls and filter and potentially create chanelling or temp loss (which is probably what the brewer's unique shape is trying to prevent). Becuase the brewer is essentially already fluted just use a regular cone filter and it would have minimal contact with the walls of the brewer and less heat transfer. Still a homemade filter would probably score well with judges.

Tzan92 (original poster)

#23: Post by Tzan92 (original poster) replying to DamianWarS »

I'm actually trying to create a wave_cone filter , like the one I've made with kalita filters , So far I've tested some different wave filters , but kalita ones seem to be the best ! So I might just go with that and the patent to change the shape ! In comparisson with other filters the patented kalita always have more clarity and balance ! Plus the enhanced fine grind allows for really intense and rich brews !

DamianWarS

#24: Post by DamianWarS replying to Tzan92 »

this Origami brewer with it's "verticle gutters" (the manufacturer's language) seems to be designed to be used with cone style filters like what you see with the hario. it seems to be trying to mimic the fluted filters but just in reverse, the brewer has the "flutes" so the filter doesn't have too which is supposed to make it easier for the barista. if you fold a filter into a fluted pattern to match the gutters of the brewer when you add water it will seal itself to the walls and my fear is it would have a counter effect from what the gutters are designed. I think a fluted cone filter that you make yourself would work well in an existing brewer that has smooth walls without a ripped or textures surface like the Chemex which might be an interesting experiment. With the Origami the complexity is in the brewer assumingly to make it more simple for the filter/barista. I don't know how effective it is but although a perfectly fluted filter would be cool I don't think it would be effective.

The only effective way to make your own filter IMO is to start with flat circle of filter paper like for lab use and then create a cone shape by folding flutes into it (as lab tecs do). but when you add flutes it's not going to be great for the Origami brewer (because it also has flutes). For competition, I also think it might be adding too much stuff (weird brewer, weird fluted filter papers etc...). I would keep with a well-known cone brewer like a v60 or Chemex or better yet just some simple lab glass then add this specially sourced filter paper that you have folded/fluted yourself and still make great coffee out of it. In doing so you take the magic out of the brewer and put the skill in your hands, you make the filter with your desired porosity and shape it to highlight and control what you want and eliminating what the brewer can do and then pour using unique methods again to control what you want. This isn't a new v60 method it's a method to control the brew yourself and not rely on the brewer to do it for you.

ira
Team HB

#25: Post by ira »

And for another idea. I've always wondered if it would be better if we had a cone that fit the filter so perfectly no water could escape escape except at the bottom so that we get as close as possible to every grain of coffee seeing the same amount of water pass over it?

Ira

Charlemagne

#26: Post by Charlemagne replying to ira »

This could achieve what you propose.