Origami Cone-Wave Filter (new era on Brewing) - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tzan92

#11: Post by Tzan92 »

De Selby wrote:Hi Tzanetos,
Can you tell me where you purchased the Origami? Like you I am in Europe (Ireland) but I can't find any retailer here that sells the Medium size version.
Thanks!
Hey , I purchased it from Japan , kurasu-kyoto last year . But recently found this:

https://www.artisancafe.fi/product/orig ... en-size-m/

From Finland to avoid any custom fees !

DamianWarS

#12: Post by DamianWarS »

Tzan92 wrote:Last three months I've been playing a lot with origami dripper , and I would love to share with you a new innovation I've come up with !!
Using the lily dripper with Kalita Wave 185 paper filters allows us to complete change the filter shape , creating a Cone_Wave filter as I call it !
that dripper looks amazing and it would be interesting to do some tests with filters on it. I know in competition things that are different and new are encouraged. Perhaps what you can do is make your own filters perfect for the dripper. I recently discovered this video on how to make a fluted filter paper for laboratory filtration use
.

it's not about coffee and you can youtube something similar and find a bunch of other videos this one is just proof of concept. The result of the video makes a 7 pointed fluted filter. Taking the same concept (and a bit of time) you can add more folds to get more points and theoretically make a filter that perfectly fits this dripper which I counted has 20 points, but it wouldn't be "cove wave" it would be "cone star" (and you don't need a Lilly dipper to shape it). It would be difficult but I don't think impossible to make a 20 pointed fluted filter and perhaps the folds alone without shaping it would be good enough and after adding water, it will naturally take the shape of each fold matching with the dripper.

You can purchase filter paper like this from a lab wholesaler which will sell round unfolded paper for probably the same price as coffee filters (and you can buy them anywhere) but the difference will be you could get many different sizes and even porosity and make a complete custom filter to match what you want for brew time/extraction. You can talk about your entire journey of picking the filter, then folding it to the exact amount of flutes to fit the brewer perfectly and I think judges would eat that up (or drink that up whatever the case would be).

Tzan92

#13: Post by Tzan92 »

DamianWarS wrote:that dripper looks amazing and it would be interesting to do some tests with filters on it. I know in competition things that are different and new are encouraged. Perhaps what you can do is make your own filters perfect for the dripper. I recently discovered this video on how to make a fluted filter paper for laboratory filtration use

video.

it's not about coffee and you can youtube something similar and find a bunch of other videos this one is just proof of concept. The result of the video makes a 7 pointed fluted filter. Taking the same concept (and a bit of time) you can add more folds to get more points and theoretically make a filter that perfectly fits this dripper which I counted has 20 points, but it wouldn't be "cove wave" it would be "cone star" (and you don't need a Lilly dipper to shape it). It would be difficult but I don't think impossible to make a 20 pointed fluted filter and perhaps the folds alone without shaping it would be good enough and after adding water, it will naturally take the shape of each fold matching with the dripper.

You can purchase filter paper like this from a lab wholesaler which will sell round unfolded paper for probably the same price as coffee filters (and you can buy them anywhere) but the difference will be you could get many different sizes and even porosity and make a complete custom filter to match what you want for brew time/extraction. You can talk about your entire journey of picking the filter, then folding it to the exact amount of flutes to fit the brewer perfectly and I think judges would eat that up (or drink that up whatever the case would be).

Hello Andrew , yeap , the fact is that I'm actually try to reach in some labs in my town and a factory to try and make a custom filter which I would like to be even faster in drawn downs ! Covid though slows everything down !

Thanks for your advices and if you have the time give this method a try ! You'll be surprised !

malling

#14: Post by malling »

De Selby wrote:Hi Tzanetos,
Can you tell me where you purchased the Origami? Like you I am in Europe (Ireland) but I can't find any retailer here that sells the Medium size version.
Thanks!
You can get it in Denmark, both Kontra coffee, Andersen and Maillard as well coffeeship sell them. I'm sure allot of other european coffee equipment/roasters stock them.

The April brewer share many of it's charecteristics.

Seanmells

#15: Post by Seanmells »

Hey guys, quick buying question and this seems related enough for a quick jut rather than making a new post.

I'm looking at adding another pour-over brewer to my mix. We currently have a plastic V60 01 and a Chemex with an Able Kone. While I enjoy them all for different purposes; I use the V60 for single cups and some form of Chemex if I'm making pour-over for both of us. I find with some coffees and at some moments I either don't want the clean cup of the Chemex or the someone muddled flavors of the Kone.

Initial thought was just get a V60 03, but I'm finding myself drawn to the Origami aesthetics and its diversity. Will the larger of the two sizes satisfy my desires? I would say 50 g dose is about the max I'd want to be putting in it.

Thanks!

eero

#16: Post by eero »

Seanmells wrote:Initial thought was just get a V60 03, but I'm finding myself drawn to the Origami aesthetics and its diversity. Will the larger of the two sizes satisfy my desires? I would say 50 g dose is about the max I'd want to be putting in it.
I brew with the size M and I think the maximum for it is around 30 g. The size M corresponds to Hario V60 02 and the S is similar to V60 01.

This morning I tried to fit 40 g into the M and had trouble pouring all the water in. Using 30 g has been fine.

ojt

#17: Post by ojt »

Interesting, will try when I can score some Kalita Wave filters.

Tzanetos, question for you: do you preheat the cone at all apart from rinsing the filter? I have lately settled to doing just two pours, blooming and then all the rest of the water, because it seems otherwise I loose too much temperature and the brew turns sour. I use very light roasts. Sometimes I notice I need to preheat the cone also, sometimes not, depends a little on the coffee.

The two-pour technique is a mix of Kurasu Kyoto technique and that of James Hoffmann, both I think aiming to minimize heat loss.
Osku

User avatar
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by LBIespresso »

eero wrote:I brew with the size M and I think the maximum for it is around 30 g. The size M corresponds to Hario V60 02 and the S is similar to V60 01.

This morning I tried to fit 40 g into the M and had trouble pouring all the water in. Using 30 g has been fine.
I brew 30 in the M size as well and agree that is the upper limit from my experience.
LMWDP #580

Seanmells

#19: Post by Seanmells »

Sounds like I was on the right track with getting a V60 size 03. Too bad about the Origami, but get what you need not what you want.
Thanks for the info!

Tzan92

#20: Post by Tzan92 »

ojt wrote:Interesting, will try when I can score some Kalita Wave filters.

Tzanetos, question for you: do you preheat the cone at all apart from rinsing the filter? I have lately settled to doing just two pours, blooming and then all the rest of the water, because it seems otherwise I loose too much temperature and the brew turns sour. I use very light roasts. Sometimes I notice I need to preheat the cone also, sometimes not, depends a little on the coffee.

The two-pour technique is a mix of Kurasu Kyoto technique and that of James Hoffmann, both I think aiming to minimize heat loss.
Hello my friend , well , actually every coffee is different .. and interacts on different ways .
In terms of "becoming sour" I would suggest you to experiment on blooming , the lower the bloom = higher in acidity ~ maybe sour sometimes !
The bigger the bloom = lower in acidity and more sweet , but you need to find the optimum balance , I agree that in some Nordic Roasts you can go like two pours , in order to have a cleaner expression , but for me Light roasts are a bit more developed than nordic ones !
Where you can actually taste all the flavours of a certain coffee !
For me I go for at least 3-4 pours , because Its like always training for next Brewers Cup , where you need to filter 3 brews simultaneously !
Also , I have rejected the 200ml in totals pour and I go at least 230-240 , Because coffee extracts sweetness in a later part of the brew and low amounts of brew does not have always the right amount of time of water in contact with coffee !
I seriously suggest starting on basic 15/250 recipe and adjust everything from there !
Starting with a 30 to 60 g bloom and also adjusting !
Also I suggest 30-60 bloom , then 120 , 180 ,250 in terms of pours , I think you should give it a try ! And try to be consistent on how you pouring starting in circular motion and finishing in the centre !

I preheat the cone most times yes (Origins of Africa like Ethiopia and Kenya ), but sometimes I even rinse with cold water ( Origins of Panama , Colombia etc ) !
Also I do Adjust the temp of rinse on the acidity I wanna get from each coffee !