Origami Advice?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Elemsee

#1: Post by Elemsee »

For some very odd reason, my brews in my Origami continue to stall - whether I use Kalita Wave filters or V60 filters, continuous pour or pulse pour (when I pulse, the last 1-2 pours stall on me).

I am using a Fellow Ode grinder, and in the setting 2-3 range, so not super fine. Typically brewing between 13-20g of coffee (18+ on the medium, less than that on the small). On a side by side comparison, my sandstone Kalita wave is significantly faster. It's such a beautiful brewer, and others seem to be getting great results from it, so id like to try and fix!

Is there something I can adjust with my pouring method to avoid this?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

Have you tried a different grind setting.

Sugssugi

#3: Post by Sugssugi »

Elemsee wrote:For some very odd reason, my brews in my Origami continue to stall - whether I use Kalita Wave filters or V60 filters, continuous pour or pulse pour (when I pulse, the last 1-2 pours stall on me).

I am using a Fellow Ode grinder, and in the setting 2-3 range, so not super fine. Typically brewing between 13-20g of coffee (18+ on the medium, less than that on the small). On a side by side comparison, my sandstone Kalita wave is significantly faster. It's such a beautiful brewer, and others seem to be getting great results from it, so id like to try and fix!

Try pouring really slow. Close to the bed and without breaking the stream. Should be just below 5g/s. Dont do any stir/swirl. Before brewing dont shake the brewer too much to have flat bed. Tap it lightly once or twice. Less pulse will also help. Higher temp.

All these will help prevent fines migration towards the bottom of the brewer which usually results in stalls. Try those if you havent. If those methods dont work then you need to grind coarser.

Yan

#4: Post by Yan »

Grind coarser and higher temperature normally it will drawn faster, you can adjust by the taste...or pour at the center for the last pulse pour.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

How much coffee are you using? What size filter? How long is the drawdown?

I find different coffees sometimes have radically different drawdown times at the same grind setting.
LMWDP #580

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Elemsee wrote:For some very odd reason, my brews in my Origami continue to stall - whether I use Kalita Wave filters or V60 filters, continuous pour or pulse pour (when I pulse, the last 1-2 pours stall on me).

The Origami is very sensitive for bad technique and will stall if that's the case. If you pour slowly and don't agitate much you should get the exact drawdowns as with the V60. I've done over 300 brews with the Origami and don't have any problems except with Cafec T-92 Light roast filters as they won't go below 4:00min for 18/300 brews even if you grind french press coarse.

notsimar

#7: Post by notsimar »

for the origami dripper i am usually on 3.1 setting for 13-15g and 3.2 for 20g with the origami dripper and the 185 filter.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baristainzmking »

I prefer the v60 filters for the origami brewer
Julia

DamianWarS

#9: Post by DamianWarS »

the Origami very clearly was designed with the Kalita wave filter in mind with it's 20 point star pattern perfectly aligning to the 20 folds of the Kalita wave. one issue with this seemingly perfect fit is that it will seals the filter up against the brewer's walls which will have an effect of slowing down the drawdown because water cannot escape as easily through the filter and drip down between the filter and walls of the brewer (called bypass). This may explain your Kalita wave filter issue but it doesn't explain your Hario filter issue since the Hario very clearly is pulled away from the walls of the brewer this should allow water to escape via the filter walls better and not slow down the drawdown.

I'm not sure why this is different with the origami but when you look at a v60 brewer it has ridges running down in a certain cascading pattern along the walls of the brewer. This lifts the paper from the walls and allows this bypass to happen and perhaps the way the origami is designed because it distances the paper filter so much from this wall effect no longer happens and it may be closer to lifting the whole filter out of the brewer and just letting it free float.

For some reason and counter-intuitively, the filter alone doesn't promote good flow and it needs some sort of aid to encourage the flow better like ridges in the brewer or a mesh between the walls of the filter. It's like if there is a drop of water on a table and you touch a pencil with it, once the pencil is wet it's like the drop is pulled in like a magnet and follows the path of the pencil, and this is what the ridges/mesh seems to accomplish. It doesn't seal the filter and it promotes the flow of water in targeted areas. You can't really add a mesh to the origami so this isn't really an option. With the Kalita wave filters, you can prewet and then push it down further and this will disrupt the seal of the filter with the walls of the brewer, particularly at the bottom and it promotes faster flow. With the Hario as well as the Kalita filters simply try to slow your flow down and don't aggressively agitate. it seems to be a sensitive brewer and you have to be delicate with it.

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

I've lately dropped in a small cut-out mesh the same size as the flat bottom of the paper filter into the brewer. You have to be careful that it sits in properly but I find once the paper gets wet it's not a problem then when you add coffee/water it's even further a non-issue and it sits in there perfectly fine. Although the flat bottom of the paper is completely free I find a mesh encourages a flow and it also keeps the filter's shape better. I don't know exactly why but my theory is if there is a drop of water on a table and touch it with something then pull it away its like a magnet and it pulls the water with it, water will also flow freer along that path. I feel the mesh below an open surface area of a filter may be doing the same thing helping to pull the water away from the filter and encourage a greater flow. I use 20gr coffee/300ml of water and the Kalita wave filter and my drawdowns are 3 min using a typical grind setting for pourover.