Orb One: Stovetop Coffeemaker (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Anyone have thoughts on the Orb One. Looks kinda interesting.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

I was just coming to post about this. It does look interesting. I am not going to back it, but would consider owning it in the future.
Scott
LMWDP #248

MikeTheBlueCow

#3: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

Looks great, but $120 for a better moka pot is a bit steep for me. I don't know the mechanics of a Kickstarter, but I feel they should have aimed lower on price since the moka pot is so cheap.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#4: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

But it does pour over as well so the price is justified :roll:

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:Looks great, but $120 for a better moka pot is a bit steep for me. I don't know the mechanics of a Kickstarter, but I feel they should have aimed lower on price since the moka pot is so cheap.
I thought this as well... I think the price point makes it effectively an uber niche product. Regular moka pot users just want to get a cheap moka pot to make "espresso." The moka pot customer isn't about to move into paying hundreds for a moka pot considering they're widely used in part because they can be had for cheap. The price is really steep considering that it's depressed on kickstarter to get as much capital as possible to make it.
LMWDP #670

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

I've got this firmly in the "wait for deals in buy/sell here" column.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

kruzilla

#7: Post by kruzilla »

I decided to back it (managed to get the early bird special). Not sure they can hit that 250k threshold though. I'm not usually a big fan of moka pots but if this one lives up to its lofty claims, I'll be happy.

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

It's a moka pot. A short, wide, modified moka pot. For sure, $120 is a lot for just a moka pot. But the Atomic and Otto were a lot more expensive and had the same basic idea, more or less, to fix the temperature problem that is inherent in the basic moka pot design. And people spend that much on an Espro.

The main thing is: Does it work?

Who knows. The marketing blather in that video is so familiar. It's super easy to use and clean, versatile (drip to espresso, really?), and produces "a perfect infusion every time". Okay, sure, if you say so.

I think I'll wait until Hoffmann does a video and maybe there's an insightful thread here.

Looks pretty cool though.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by sosha »

It does look cool, but it's in 5 pieces. I can hear the "thermo-regulating shower head" as it accidentally hits the garbage disposal........
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the Orb One. Looks kinda interesting.

I just ran across this too on kickstarting. the impressive part is the thermal regulator but I'd like to see some decent reviews on the product before I would be ready to buy. the concept isn't enough for me especially with that price tag and maybe the target group is more for the mokapot lovers but the designer seems legit and a quick look at his bio has me convinced he has the talets.