Opinions of the Eva Solo? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Abid Clever Dripper yet.
Well, :cry: , I did back here: Break and clean method for French press and I fully agree with your comments on it. We have three of the tea versions in the house (wife & daughter are tea "nuts") and I bought one to try with coffee. The tea version leaves a tiny bit of sludge in the cup but otherwise, GREAT! as you guys have found out.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

RAS

#12: Post by RAS »

Just ordered a Clever today - they've been out of them for a while, and today is the first day back. Due to tremendous interest, Tom is limiting customers to one-per-order. I wanted to order more than one, but there will be opportunities in the future.

Found this decent video of one person's "Clever routine":
http://www.vimeo.com/5061090
Bob

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

I've never had coffee from the Eva Solo. Are there any cafe's in the San Francisco Bay Area (South Bay, maybe) that use this?

I did pick up the clever coffee dripper (CCD) and use it every day now. It has replaced my Aeropress for daily coffee, but I'm using a Yama 8 cup vacuum brewer with Cory glass rod for larger pots for groups.

I wanted to get a second or third CCD because I just did a coffee tasting at work with five homeroasted beans... but Tom was out (just ordered a second today). I tried a ceramic one hole filter cone I picked up at a thrift store with a wad of aluminum foil to plug the hole. This worked ok at home, but made a mess during the actual tasting, so I just switched to using that one as a straight pour-over.

Since I pre-infuse for thirty seconds and steep for four minutes on a timer, I figure I could do two in parallel and make enough coffee at the same time to serve my parents while they're in town, and I won't have to worry about doing the vac pot while rushing to get out the door.

My Wife is starting to complain now that her counter space is disappearing. This is without a auto-drip.

-Chris
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

MellowCat

#14: Post by MellowCat »

another_jim wrote: The instructions on the Eva Solo and most other steeping brewers are incredibly wrong: Never stir the coffee, do not move the pot, do nothing to disturb the crust until you remove it.
Wondering what your thoughts are on the Aerobie Aeropress, in which the coffee (slurry) is stirred, and then pressed out completely.

Its a shorter steep time, and since its filter, the grind is finer than the methods above. But there's not been a lot of talk of bitterness with the aeropress, and SM site recommends the grounds be squeezed right to the end for fuller extraction.

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

I don't regard the aeropress as a steeping brewer, nor am I competent in using it.
Jim Schulman

JimWright

#16: Post by JimWright »

I quite liked the Solo, it made excellent coffee, but mine cracked in the dishwasher under no contact with anything else (not that old and always treated gingerly), and I can't find anyone to sell me just the carafe without paying for another sleeve and filter. (It has occurred to me to try a wine carafe but haven't done it yet.)

Sherman

#17: Post by Sherman »

another_jim wrote:Very cool indeed. If I brew into glass, where I want a clear brew, I'll start by steeping the coffee, then pouring it through a filter. This one does it in one step. A bit like a Technivorm at 1/12th of the price.
FWIW, I've come across a similar solution. The top bowl of my Santos cracked, so while I was awaiting delivery of a Yama, I stared at the bottom bowl, then at my Melitta pourover. Eureka! Add grounds to lower bowl, pour in water, then decant through SwissGold filter into Melitta. Kept me going until the Yama arrived.

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

MellowCat

#18: Post by MellowCat »

Jim, on other threads - perhaps the Clover thread - you've mentioned 'muddy' cups, coming from sub-optimal brew methods. I find this is interesting, perhaps a new thread would better suit, but what do you think of filter (drip) brewing then?

Muddy cups would come from moka pots (bialetti) and aeropress, and you'd no great praise for the clover, so it would be interesting to get down to what gives non-muddiness in a brew method. The recent discussion on the 'french pull', the eva solo, crust breaking for french press, all seem to touch on the same vein.

Sherman

#19: Post by Sherman »

French press, french pull, what's next? the French Mistake?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back on topic, I'd be curious to hear from Eva Solo users who have used FP as well - how would you compare the amount of sediment left from ES vs. FP?

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

JimWright

#20: Post by JimWright »

I don't find much sediment in either if I set the grind big enough... of course dialing the MK to that grind takes 5 minutes so I don't do it as often as I used to... :roll: I guess maybe I'm lazy enough to need a second grinder for brewed coffee...