Nucleus Paragon - looks like a whisky rock for pourover?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Sasa Sestic has a new pourover stand/brewing aid, best explained in this short video (1:46): https://nucleuscoffeetools.com/wp-conte ... n-720p.mp4

Usage video (3:14) https://nucleuscoffeetools.com/wp-conte ... n-540p.mp4

When I saw the video, I thought, "Hey, that looks like a whisky stone."

Anyone tried something similar?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

So it's supposed to make your coffee cool before the first sip, likely anything similar would work as good, though it looks bigger than most. Guess they're trying to make sure it stays cool through the whole pour.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

The cooling is only for the bloom and first pour (20%-30% of poured water). Subsequent pours are as per usual.

Phobic

#4: Post by Phobic »

The claim is that the chilling effect helps retain more volatiles.

I'm not a food scientist, however I wonder how much of the volatiles are given off in the brew chamber before it even hits the cold rock. I would also expect that increasing the surface area of the coffee as it passes over the rock will decrease volatile retention.

We'll gloss over how many volatiles are lost during roasting...

someone with more knowledge than me would be better placed to comment though...

I can get the cooling effect allows you to be able to drink it at the right temp faster - I'm happy to sit and wait personally, and if I was that worried about the volatiles, I'd use an inverted aeropress with Prismo (is that the right name?) which will allow you to brew in a sealed container, then only decup it once it's cool enough to drink.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

baldheadracing wrote:The cooling is only for the bloom and first pour (20%-30% of poured water). Subsequent pours are as per usual.
Sasa's OCD only moves about 1/4- 1/3 of the coffee grounds, and his new gimmick cools the first portion of the brew. I see a pattern :mrgreen:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to TomC »

Let's hope that the pattern doesn't hold for his new roasting machine! (Nucleus LINK, which seems to be a version of the KaffeLogic Nano 7)

Jonk

#7: Post by Jonk »

I decided to try it out by stacking two drippers, with a frozen 2" liquid filled steel ball in the bottom dripper.
I guess Paragon uses a smaller "stone" - maybe closer to 1½"? Mine requires a pretty high flow rate to coat most of it in liquid, something like 2-4ml/s or even 8-10ml/s to coat the whole thing. My usual, slow flow just kind of slithered around the ball.

I let it chill the whole brew, which resulted in a perfect drinking temperature straight away (for a light roast anyway, just barely warm).
My first impression is that it tastes different than just allowing a regular brew to cool down - it was quite nice. Perhaps more vibrant acidity.

So after initially being sceptical there might be something to this. Not very difficult to make your own "paragon", but the real thing looks flexible and convenient.

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

I will point out that's it's probably a use once and put back in the freezer till tomorrow so I'd hope it's priced so you can afford to buy more than one.

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

Considering what the OCD is priced I have my doubts..
The stainless balls I bought were about $2 a piece though.

Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to Jonk »

I was looking through Amazon and I couldn't get that low. I think I was at $13 for a 1.6" all-stainless ball. I'll have to look at AliExpress next.

Let us know if you experiment further!