Not-so Clever Dripper/ Updated

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DJR

#1: Post by DJR »

Five years goes too fast. I continue to use my not so clever once or twice a day. Make that 2400 times at least. Nothing has failed. Works very well and without fail. At this point I might upgrade the name to "adequate dripper".

//////////

I've enjoyed using my Clever Dripper for the last year. It is, however, getting grungy and it doesn't seem to clean up, even with Joe Glo. It is also plastic, and I'm trying to lower my use of plastics in general and in food particularly. (Know it isn't supposed to have BPA, but so what?)

If the CD people made a porcelain version, I'd be willing to pay $30 or maybe more. But they don't seem to. So I'm playing with a "Not-so-Clever-Dripper", which is nothing more than a silicone lab stopper on a stainless steel leash. Used with a Cilio porcelain No. 4 cone. It works very well, though I may make some improvements. The whole thing goes into the dishwasher (the CD says "no"), which is very convenient.

I have the leash wrapped around the handle. Put in the stopper, not too firmly and immersion brew the coffee. When it's done, pull the leash a half inch or so and it drains into -- (here is where it isn't so clever) a cup, but better have another ready since it doesn't stop like the CD. Into a carafe or warmed pot, however, would be perfect. Or a Thermos.

dan

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I played around with stoppers on the bottom of a ceramic dripper (aluminum foil) but it made a mess.

I've found that an occasional soak with OxyClean really helps to clean up the CD, especially the parts you can't really get to very well.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DJR (original poster)

#3: Post by DJR (original poster) »

I made a few batches today. It seems reliable and when made into a carafe, no drips and I'm sure it is psychological, but the coffee tasted better. You can also pre-heat the porcelain dripper and that actually does make a big difference and may account for the better taste. If anyone wants the stopper part number it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TG3W3U

The wire is just stainless wire threaded with a needle through the stopper.