Not satisfied with any grinder I tried for pour over - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Brewzologist »

Jonas; Have a look at this thread for info on the Fuji versus the Xeoleo:. Inexpensive Chinese Ghost Burr Grinder

I'm no expert on brew grinders but the Xeoleo is definitely better than my Niche for this method. And the build is surprisingly solid, albeit not as polished as better grinders.

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by DamianWarS »

luisguilherme wrote: Question 1: am I doing something wrong?
Question 2: I'm thinking of getting a flat burr grinder for pour over. Is this the right approach? Is there something as good and practical as the Vario but more kitchen friendly (my wife thinks the Eureka mignon crono is awful)
What's wrong with the Vario? If not the Vario maybe the forte is more to your kitchen look. If you looking for a kitchen appliance type look that has a quality grind I would say the niche zero would fit, I know it's has conical burrs but it's seems to out class many grinders. The fellow ode is a nice grinder, it's load but it's fast and very small. (But if you wife doesn't like the Mignon maybe she wouldn't like the ode) but if you upgrade to the better burrs it seems like it would be an excellt grinder. I have the ode with original burr set and I agree it needs to go finer.

I wouldn't get the Mignon for filter even though I know the Crono has a different burr set for filter. The Mignon to me is an espresso grinder that has been converted into a filter grinder with filtro, Crono and brew pro but I've never used one for filter. I can tell you they are amazingly quiet however.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Rickpatbrown

#13: Post by Rickpatbrown »

What are you using for water?

You should be able to get a decent immersion brew aeropress or french), regardless of grinder.

If you can get good immersion, you beans or water composition are bad.

A lot of time, non optimal water can be used at MUCH lower temps (170-180F).

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Brewzologist »

DamianWarS wrote:If you looking for a kitchen appliance type look that has a quality grind I would say the niche zero would fit, I know it's has conical burrs but it's seems to out class many grinders.
Love my Niche for espresso but it's definitely sub par for filter brews and I wouldn't recommend for that.

luisguilherme (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by luisguilherme (original poster) »

There's nothing wrong with the Vario beyond aesthetics ;). But my coffee shop baristas told me about the Mahlkönig X54 and my wife thought it was pretty, so I'll be waiting for reviews. I've recently started grinding way coarser with the Xeoleo, and that got rid of most defects (together with any complexity, but I can live with it for a morning joe for a couple more months). I also decreased its power an extra notch, which reduced the fines considerably (maybe I can even stop sieving, and that might bring some complexity back).

Yes, the ugliest part of the Mignon is the grinds catcher, which is an afterthought, they got the exact same grinder they were using for espresso, replaced the burrs, designed the ugliest catcher possible, and called it a day. That's lazy.

I'm using filtered tap water. I've tested it for scaling, and it's "soft", but didn't test for other minerals. That said, I bought some TWW and will be using that instead.

Yan

#16: Post by Yan »

luisguilherme wrote:I'm using filtered tap water. I've tested it for scaling, and it's "soft", but didn't test for other minerals. That said, I bought some TWW and will be using that instead.
If you have TDS meter imho try different ppm/brew based, lets say with 75/100/120ppm (their standard 150ppm), some coffee beans more pleasant with lower than their standard 150ppm.

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by DamianWarS »

Brewzologist wrote:Love my Niche for espresso but it's definitely sub par for filter brews and I wouldn't recommend for that.
I don't have one, but that's useful information. it's funny I have the Vario-W and although the model has been around forever it still seems to keep coming up for it's quality in the cup so I'm sticking with it for now (and I'm happy with the results)

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
tompoland
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by tompoland »

I agree that the Niche Zero is not ideal for brewing. I bought a Fellows Ode and despite the comments about it being better with SSP burrs, I found it really fabulous for brewed coffee. VERY happy I bought it. And compared to some of the others, it's a reasonable price. Also, well engineered and design and functionality is top notch.

erik82

#19: Post by erik82 »

I kind of know exactly what you mean. Ever tried the Commandante?

I drank 80% espresso and 20% pourover before I bought my EG1 with SSP burrs. After that I started to enjoy pourover much more and am now at 50-50 and some days even more pourover than espresso. All of the less perfect grinders just couldn't even come close to what I have now. For me 64mm SSP wouldn't even be an option and I do like 80mm more then 98mm which is just preference.

MB

#20: Post by MB »

I would recommend no sieving on the Xeoleo. Your suspicion on losing complexity and making a dull brew by sieving is what I found to be true. But to deal with the difference you will need to adjust the grind / temperature / dose to get rid of the astringency. My intuition on adjustments didn't always lead me in the right direction. However, this chart made getting a better cup easier: https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/
LMWDP #472